28 Gallon SW Build...hopefully...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
grab my bucket, hook up my ro/di unit to the sink and wait. mix the salt. measure, stir. re check. sometimes its too much salt so i have to get another bucket and mix the two so i end up making 9-10 gallons of salt mix. its not a convenient operation at all.

it is, i just havent gotten that far yet. a setup like yours is on the to do list.

now you can see why i say a trash can is such a fancy thing to have.

Lol...well it was 9 dollar trash can at home depot. I really wanna get the 55 gallon barrels with the faucet drains so i can have them elevated to fill up 5 gallon buckets.

AquaMaxx HOB-1 Hang-On-Back Skimmer. It has good reviews anyway. I bought it and still haven't put it on my 40 gal yet, but looks pretty nice and was a decent price.

I got the Dry Fiji rock from BRS...I loved it!! It still has some color on it as well.

Any reason why my RO/DI unit be making a buzzing sound?

mine kinda does the same thing. my best guess is because of the pressure relief valve on the waste water line. i dont know if thats because the water pressure in is enough or too much. ive been wanting to put a pressure gauge on it and see where im at in relation to its operating requirements.

AquaMaxx HOB-1 Hang-On-Back Skimmer. It has good reviews anyway. I bought it and still haven't put it on my 40 gal yet, but looks pretty nice and was a decent price.

I got the Dry Fiji rock from BRS...I loved it!! It still has some color on it as well.

ive been looking for a hob skimmer for my 40b build ive got going on. ive been looking at the octopus skimmers. i know carey was/is using a remora hob skimmer.

I have the Octopus BH-100 coming from BRS. When I get it i'll do the best review that I can.

Ok, So i have a weird request cause i can't decide on a substrate, could everyone post a picture of their substrate and tell me what it is so i can get an idea...lol

I didn't go with the sugar grain sand, I thought the powerheads would blow it all over. So I chose sand from a petstore that is used for both SW and FW. Of course this is the first sand I have used so I can't compare it with anything else! My snails can burrow in it without any problems, and it's smooth. No sharp points. :) I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110919_083507.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110919_083507.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 69
And here's a close up of the same sand in my cycling FW. don't mind the decorations, I just put stuff in I had laying around until I decide what I'm keeping for livestock. Lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110919_084438.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110919_084438.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 72
I happen to like my remora, gets good reviews too.

MRX HATES my remora LOL. Always gets in a jab when he can .hehe But seriously, I have had nothing but good luck with mine. It always pulled nasties and took almost 2 weeks to break in. I will say though that it can produce alot of micro bubbles so I bought the black box bubble diffuser as well. It keeps the bubbles out and also protects your fish from getting sucked into the powerheads used to run it. :)

I guess everyone has their own opinions and then some have different luck with their particular units. I hope the Octopus does as well as everyone said in the reviews.

I think the octopus will do just fine. Solid reputation and a good product line from what I hear. I would have gotten one but my budget wouldn't allow it plus I got an excellent deal on an eshopps skimmer for $100 so I couldn't get let that pass by. lol

bak pak skimmers also come pretty highly rated and reviewed as well.

Ya i got my HOB skimmer from BRS group buy so it was only 112 and is rated up to 60 gallons so it should do well on my 36 gallon.

Im so excited this week for the rest of my gear to come in. Broke in my RODI unit last night. Will finish making some water tonight and hopefully start mixing some water and get a substrate figured out...

Just ordered a dual inline TDS meter and a pressure gauge from BRS so I don't blow up my unit and can monitor the membranes and just as a sanity check for myself.

Lol and on top of that i just had to order a dog crate for the new dog coming into the house...its 54Lx37Wx45H...hahah....not sure if i'm getting a moose or a dog...lol. It's a great dane.

Attachments

• G5weeks 1.jpg
    G5weeks 1.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom