28gal nano cube hqi temp and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I left my filter in too. I have a remora protein skimmer I am going to try adding this weekend the dinky oceanic nano skimmer isn't cutting it.
The salt is odd. How did you mix it? Before you put it in or did you fill the tank and mix it in because it can settle some salt on the bottom then.
I had 2 hermit crabs die but I think they got stock in the rock work. There shells are still wedged there!

You do not have to remove the filter but it is recommended if you turn the nanos into a saltwater tank. The filters do gather the gunk from the water and that gunk just sits there causing nitrates which the algae loves and grows off of. If you do keep it, it is recommended to wash it out every water change in the old tank water. I also replaced the skimmer the tank came with for a hang on the back one that works better. You should not have a fishy water smell at all if you are keeping up with water changes.

If you have high salt why don't you just take a few buckets out and add fresh water??
How often are you doing water changes? I think you should be doing them weekly until you have your algae outbreak under control. What kind of water do you use? Tap water should not be used, ro/di water should be. Do you have a refractometer?

I just pulled my filter out of my nano and replaced it with a CPR bak pak 2 refugium/skimmer. Do I need any carbon in there or filter floss? Or is the refugium enough? I have 30 lbs of live rock and some macro algae growing on a rock and I buy some in the refugium too.

Good or bad thing?? All of my green long hair algae seems to be turning brown and drying off good or bad?

Back
Top Bottom