29 biocube temperature high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greeting my tank is currently steady at 85F. I have all the lights off (it was at 88). I can't get the tank to come down. My heater is unplugged in case it has gone wild but after a few hours I can't get the temp any lower.

What can I do to get the temps down. I can't afford a $500 chiller. I don't really want to put ice in a bag every day.

Does anyone know if there is some type of radiator with fans I can just sit on the outside of my tank? I can't find anything for a tank my size. Most are for nanos.

Thanks for the help.

It was at 88

Don't know why that smiley guy popped up.

I decided to purchase a hydor 1200 for my return pump and I purchased a white led bar.

Hopefully the pump will run cooler and I won't have to use the fluorescent bulb to light the tank.

Right now it's a fowlr so I am assuming the white light they give you is not needed. When I do get corals I will have to look into a full led retro kit.

Does anyone know of a way to get the fans to turn on when either the blue or white light is turned on? Right now the fans turn on when the blue light is turned on.

I usually throw ice packs in my sump to bring down the temp during the summer. Not ice cubes, ice packs

Ice packs are a good idea. I've have kept the lights off for two days, only lighting with the led moon light and the tank is stable at 78.5, we have had a few cold nights but I'm guess those hood lights put off way to much heat and the stock fans do nothing to cool them off. Not really a problem right now but I'll have to figure out a permanent solution when I move into corals and nems. I don't think they would like 90f water.

I am going to start looking into led retro kits and see how much those will hurt me.

Just glad the fish survived the wild swings.

Thats good. Just be careful when u have corals, you cant turn the light off when your temp rises as they need light for food. Just keep a fan in your room to cool the air use ice packs, by a tank fan etc...

Back
Top Bottom