Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

29 Gal

My tank is in it's first week. Ammonia between .5 and 1.0 I 've had my skimmer running since day 1 and it's working up a storm. It just dawned on me that it might be working against me. Please advise

Old 02-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i ran my skimmer from day one. your ammonia will most likely be elevated for about a month. be patient. the skimmer wont hinder your cycle. how are you cycling your tank? raw shrimp? live rock?

fellow 29er
steve r

Old 02-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm running my skimmer now, too, and I've just completed week two of my cycle with three dead shrimp in a 30 gal with a 10 gal sump. My skimmer isn't produceing much gunk, but my ammonia is now coming down (from 8+ for 5 days!). It's now about 3 and nitrites and nitrates are up, so obviously the cycle is going along just fine.

I'm going to add some choice but pricey LFS LR soon before adding my larger LR.com load in a couple of weeks.

Good luck.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

29 GAl

I have 42 lbs of LR and I threw in one shrimp. My levels today are Ammonia .5, N0~2 2.0, N0~3 20. I didn't have my test kit until about the 4th day, have not seen the hudge spike of ammonia that I read about in this forum. Least not yet. Didn't expect N0~2, & N0~3 until the ammonia peaked.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
have not seen the hudge spike of ammonia that I read about in this forum
Your LR is probably contributing to the cycle - it has colonies of established bacteria on it already. Your cycle may go a lot faster than mine did, because I started from complete scratch (unless you count the LS), so I had a "raw" cycle.

I'm going to add a few pieces of LR to help speed up the remaining part of the cycle, now that my ammonia has fallen. Then comes the mother load of LR

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com