Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

29 gal mini salt tank questions

Hello there, I'm a rather new member here. I keep freshwater tanks, but I want to start a salt tank in the future ( about three mos.) Because I have limited space, I decided to go with a 29 gal tank, and i realize that this is pretty small, so- what kind of fish would be ideal for a tank of this size? and, what size/type of filter will be necessary? Thanks a lot!!
bye

Old 02-18-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Well...SW is a lot different than FW...you've figured that out by now I'm sure . There are several different ways to go about setting up a SW tank. You can go with a FO (fish only), FOwLR (fish only with live rock), or a reef. Before you get into choosing fish, you need to decide which kind of tank you want to set up. Except for the FO tank, SW requires different filtration techniques than FW. It's not that much more difficult, just different. I would suggest doing some research before you buy anything. Don't just go with what the LFS tells you to get. You can read one horror story after another here about that. Here is a post on the Berlin method of filtration that you might want to read.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=9
You might want to check into deep sand beds (DSB) and protien skimmers also. The two keys to having a successful SW tank are planning and patience.
Logan J

Old 02-18-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would highly recommend browsing the getting started forum. Start with the sticky's and work your way down. You will learn a ton!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks for the advice everybody- i'll use it!
Old 02-18-2003, 04:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

We have a 29 gallon too and we did a lot of research, you have definately found a great place to find great information, they are very helpful, good luck and welcome!
Old 02-19-2003, 01:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ditto and welcome
Old 02-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Bob, listen to these folks. When I started wanting a SW tank, I went to the salt water getting started thread and read all of the stickys and as many of the "I'm new to salt water, what do I do" threads as I could find. And do what I said and buy this book.

If you can get it for less than $20 including shipping, but it from the online store. Instore it's $19. And hopefully Fish Tales will be open sometime in spring. We can go together.

-j

Tags
mini, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com