29 gallon progress update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drucifer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
11 days since filling her.

Salinity: 1.024
Temp (F): 79
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 20
Plus, a healthy population of diatoms :)

A couple of pics, too:

No lights:
062508.jpg

PC actinics:
062508lit.jpg

You`ll need to add something maybe a pinch of flake to jump start the cycle. Read about the cycle on our SW articles.

Use the tried and tru coctail shrimp method. Just put it in a mesh bag for ease of removal later. You could add some pure ammonia, but there's something about using biological material (shrimp/flake food, etc.) that just seems more nautral.

I should do this even though my nitrites have already peaked (beyond 5 according to the color scale on the API test kit) and fallen?

IMO you had a mini-cycle because of you added some LR. Did you see a rise in ammonia first, and if so to what level?

You have about a 50/50 mix of LR and base rock. Your tank might be cycled, but there's a better chance that you don't have a very large population of bacteria yet. Try adding a pinch of flake and see if you get an ammonia reading in a day. If there's no spike to ammonia, nitrite or nitrate you can do your PWC and start slowly adding livestock (1 fish per month).

Please keep us posted.

11 pounds base rock - 1 piece is exceptionally dense and heavy FWIW - 45 pounds live rock, uncleaned (also about of pound or so of LR rubble in the sump). Filled on 6/14, didn't take any readings until 6/19, at which point ammonia was between .25-.5, NO2 >5, and NO3 ~15. I'll add a pinch of flakes and test 24 hrs after.

Uncleaned LR? Did you mean uncured? That would cause a much larger spike in ammonia, nitirite and nitrate than what you saw. If it was fully cured then your readings make more sense.

Good luck with your clown.

Back
Top Bottom