29 Gallon Starting Up LONG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InxayonFinland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright guys. I've really been thinking about doing a 29 gallon reef instead of another freshwater. I have succeded in freshwater tanks for about three years now and I'm ready to take the plunge into a reef. My friends have had reefs and really enjoy them. I just have a few questions about them.

1. I have looked at Dr. Foster and Smith and I have found this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tId=12785&prodId=25193&catId=1096131&siteid=6
Its pricey but I am willing to pay it. Does it come with everything, excluding live rock, sand, and stuff of that source, that i will need to set up the tank?

2. I also took a look at the Aquapod 24 gallon, the Eclipse 12, and the Nano-Cube 12 and 24 Deluxe kit. Are they good tank set-ups or will I need additional things to run a good tank.?

3. I know reef tanks, expecially small ones, are hard to maintain. How much time does it take to keep one and how hard are they to keep?

Thanks!!

The smaller the tank, the more difficult to keep stable. I am not saying it cannot be done, I am saying it is much more intense as you have very little room for errors. I cannot tell you how much time it would take. I spend roughly an hour a night plus several on the weekends, but I have larger tanks and more than one.

I will say this, (and I am not trying to be nasty) but if you are concerned about the time that it will take for upkeep, you should probably rethink the plan ;).

(Reminds me of the saying, if you have to look at the price tag, you can't afford it)

Well I know its hard work and its time consuming. Its just I play on my schools hockey team and thats the same reason my other friend had to give up his. BUT, my dad is really into aquariums just like I am.

So, I think I want one. Its just what would you get out of the tank suggestions i listed? Out of the four, which do you think would be the easiest to keep up with i should say.

Thanks again!

Does it come with everything, excluding live rock, sand, and stuff of that source, that i will need to set up the tank?
From the description: Kits include heater, thermometer, filter, skimmer, lighting, water pump, salt, and power strip/timer.
which do you think would be the easiest to keep up with i should say.
As Hara said. The larger the better. Additives and water evaporation will have larger effects the smaller the tank is. You need to be a lot more precise. As far as time goes plan on some type of daily maintainence. First few months will take up a lot more time. As you "learn" your tank it will take less time, but by then you will be addicted so plan on it taking even more time. :D

I would highly recommend buying the tank yourslef and all the equipment seperately.

You'll get better equipment and you'll be able to customize things. A lot of the things the kit has are pretty crappy, like the seaclone. The seaclone itself is 75 dollars and isn't really worth it.

After everything is set up it should be somewhat slower. Your not going to have to go through countless hours of work on it. If you do hours and hours of work constantly than I would say your really doing too much and just puting a big burden on yourself that doesn't need to be. A lot of people do check constantly on stuff and tweek things here and there, don't get me wrong thats perfectly fine and good. If you get into breeding things are something like that than yes you will have to do a lot of work.
Researching to SET UP the tank is the thing that will take a lot of time. SO thats also a consideration.

Reef tanks are somewhat frustrating because you almost constantly worry about lighting and if its enough, too much, or if it could use another blah blah blah...
Tankmates, filtration, and ammonia levels and all that are very confusing at times but are okay if you do your research.

So is this all i need?

heater, thermometer, filter, skimmer, lighting, water pump, salt, power head, and power strip/timer as far as equipment go?

Also, How many fish could I put in the tank? I"m thinking about 2-3.

Thanks Again

Alright guys. I've done some research over the past couple of days and here's what I got.

Filteration: Bio-wheel 350 power filter
Protein Skimmer: Prizm Pro Deluxe Skimmer
Heater: Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater 150 watt
Lighting: Orbit Compact Fluorescent Lunar Light 30" (2 - 65 watts) 2 Luner Lights
Powerhead: Hagen AquaClear Powerhead, Model 30 or 50
Live Rock: Dont know what kind to get yet :(
Live Sand: Same as LR
Salt: Reef Crystals 50 gallon mix

Is this all i will need, ( I'm thinking I'll need more ). If not, what else do i need?

Thanks A lot Guys!!

if your still planning on doing a reef tank, i would suggest against the biowheel, it will be a nitrate factory, and eventually will poison the corals in the tank. if the tank will be a fowlr the biowheel will not be a very big problem. you could just remove the biowheel or get an aqua clear and remove the biological cermanic from it. last i checked, (some months ago) the aqua clear was about 5 bucks cheaper at thatpetplace.com so i would suggest you go that route and save the money.

the lighting you have choosen is pretty good, and about 4.3watts a gallon will allow you keep a wide variety of corals, however it might be a little less than ideal for anemones and some sps corals, but you will have so many choices as far coral goes.

everything else seems good to me, i have always prefered instant ocean salt, but its just a preferance thing.

Great! Researching has gone good!

Also, how many shrimp and snails should i get to help keep my tank clean?

And as for fish, this is what i have: Ocellaris Clown, Bicolor Pseudochromis, dispar anthias ( dont worry guys I did some research and they can handle a 25 gallon if there is one ) and some kind of goby. Any other suggestions would be great!

THANKS!!!!

Refugium's aren't for acclimating. If you're adding fish to a new system, you could place them directly in. Later on, a cheap 10 gallon tank for a hospital (hopefuly unused) or quarantine tank would be smart.

ok

about LR too.... What kind should I get?

Also, I'm thinking about getting: Ocelleris Clown, Bicolor Pseudochromis, 2 Neon Blue Gobys, Dispar Anthias, and maybe a Fridmani Pseudochromis . I know i can't do all of these but which ones do you think would be the best. I really want a clown, pseudo, and the anthias.

Back
Top Bottom