29 gallon suprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet, just one more question, with your skimmer and heater, I assume they are both in the sump. How do you keep the wires from the blocking the full hood on the bio cube? Can the hood close all the way, is there an extra hole built in the hood to allow wires out of the sump area? Thanks.

There should be 2 slots/notches on the back of the hood. Mine has one on each side. You may have to "pop" out the tab or something, IDK as mine was already "slotted". Check your owners manual or just look closely at the back of the service lid/hinge area.

Last edited:
what rob said... as for the heater i couldent find room to put it in the back with the rubble and skimmer

-Brad

immm sooo excited... checked this morning and i had zeros for both ammonia and N02... double checked now after adding more ammonia at 4:30 this morning and they are zeros again!

now the big question is first additions and other levels

need to wait for the R/O unit to fill up again to wash my test tubes to fill up.... so lets get to the other part first

first additions... my plans for the tank is to get some other soft corals and maybe LPS as i advance.. as for fish i was thinking about this

2 common clowns
a clown goby (is it compatible?)
1-2 fire fish

inverts
10ish turbo snails
2-3 cleaner shrimp (too little?)
4 scarlet hermits
and maybe a serpent star or urchin down the line.. but thats not for quite a few months.

first thing will be the clowns and some turbos... any comments ideas... telling me how stupid i am? lol

-Brad

well last night i went to the LFS and got 10 turbos and 10 blue legged hermits... and providing everything goes well for a week next friday or saturday ill be getting my clowns!

-Brad

Congrats!

I'm heading out to the LFS in about 15 min to get inverts and some chromis. Looks like you beat me after all!

haha yeah... the LR was already cured... so i had a bit of an advantage.... is it normal for the hermits to ride on the turbos backs?

also the bristtle worms.. they only come out i assume all night because i only see them when i turn the lights on...

T-6 days till i get my common clowns (levels permitting of course)

-Brad

Compatiblity question?

i know most urchins toppling corals over is a major issue.. but i was just wondering what would be the best choice for my tank

i really like long spined urchins and pinqueshin urchins... but are either of these terrible choises?

also. serpent stars. recomended or not? id really like to have one but if its indangering my reef.. i can live without it... or if there is any other star that is reef safe.

also when is it safe to add some more mushrooms and polyps?

-Brad

Update

Well heres a couple pictures i took of my tank today. the long spine black urchin hid just before i took the pic

img_951773_0_52c6285ad52080a7bc97066f1aa7c626.jpg

img_951773_1_8d0ee103ab184578a774ea3e7eddba17.jpg

what do you think?

-Brad

Nice looking tank so far :) I would move the bubble coral up and to the right (looks like a crevice available there?) because there will eventually be physical contact with the frogspawn.

thats a hammer coral. the problem with the bubble is its got a 7 inch stem on it. the peice to the left of the hammer is coming out and going in my nano once i buy it... then the hammer will move over there... or possibly the bubble. havent decided yet.

wierd thing is people talk about sweepers hurting other corals... the only coral that has been stung is the green mushroom thats directly behind the hammer. its pretty well nothing now. but i dont care too much. better they sting it then each other

-Brad

I think James has a good point. I think the tank looks fabulous. Great work on it.

any suggestions on dealing with the long stem... can i cut it? will that kill the coral?. really thats the only place where i can sheild it from current and have good light... its been moved to a couple different spots and never fully opens. also the one clown has taken a likeing to it. especailly at feeding time.. if i move it will this change the relationship?

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom