Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
Sliced Bread

RO is good, RO/DI is RO water that is then filtered through DI resin, making it even better. If you're into reef tanks for the long haul, you'll save a ton of money by getting a RO/DI filter and making it yourself. airwaterice.com has some great ones, as well as you can find them on ebay.

Like Tank said, man I'd go slow in that small of a system. If you overshoot, the only way to get it back down is to remove SW from the tank and replace with clean water. Not a big deal, but it's just a lot easier to slowly raise it to the level you want it. I also find that with reef crystals that their recommended amounts are too high. I'm still a newb, but IIRC they say 1/2 cup for 1g of clean water. I find that to raise the sg too high, so it's somewhere less than that.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I would take about 1/2 gallon out then just add regular RO/DI water or RO water. thats happen to me a few times when I first started out you start counting then you lose your train of thought. Oh and don't worry about all the question we all had the same ones just like you.

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
RO is good, RO/DI is RO water that is then filtered through DI resin, making it even better. If you're into reef tanks for the long haul, you'll save a ton of money by getting a RO/DI filter and making it yourself. airwaterice.com has some great ones, as well as you can find them on ebay.

Like Tank said, man I'd go slow in that small of a system. If you overshoot, the only way to get it back down is to remove SW from the tank and replace with clean water. Not a big deal, but it's just a lot easier to slowly raise it to the level you want it. I also find that with reef crystals that their recommended amounts are too high. I'm still a newb, but IIRC they say 1/2 cup for 1g of clean water. I find that to raise the sg too high, so it's somewhere less than that.
mine says 1.4 lbs per 5 gallons.. so it makes it really really hard to figure out what to add to raise the SG.

i do plan on getting my own RO/DI filter. just short on cash around christmas... will get it within a month or so

-Brad
Old 12-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

1/2 cup every 1 U.S gallon would work 2.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
1/2 cup every 1 U.S gallon would work 2.
perfect... because i already broke that crappy kitchen scale in frustration lol.

anyone have any input on how much live rock... my mother wants and i quote "as little of that ugly brown crap as possible" but im not one to sacrifice quality for looks.

-Brad
Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

rule of thumb is 1-2LBs per gallon so maybe any where from 40 to 50LBs of LR
Old 12-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so could i do 30lbs of "live rock" and another 20-30 of base rock... even tho it will all eventually look the same (correct?) that nice light colored rock might keep her complaints down

also id like to thank everyone for being so speedy in helping me out. its greatly apreciated

-Brad
Old 12-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also i was wondering if i can still be adjusting salinity with live rock in the tank?.. is it like fish and corals and get shocked by sudden changes?

thanks again
Old 12-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Sedore View Post
not that im over already but if i do overshoot how do i go about lowering it... for future reference as im sure ill do it some day... syphen out and add more unsalted water?
That is the tried and true method... No magic bullet here unfortunatley.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

yOUR PH IS TO HIGH IT SHOULD BE 8.3. YOU SHOULD GET 29 POUNDS OF LIVE ROCK 1 POUND PER GALLO. The tempeture should be from 72 - 79

Tags
29 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com