Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Sedore View Post
also i was wondering if i can still be adjusting salinity with live rock in the tank?.. is it like fish and corals and get shocked by sudden changes?

thanks again
Not a problem you would still need to cycle your tank anyways so it will not hurt anything....

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

whats the best way to go about lowering ph? does that stuff that they sell at big als actually work i think its called perfect PH or something. i have yet to turn the thermometer on ... as i ran out of plugs and only have power bars without grounds..

Old 12-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah thats what i figured... to clarify what i read in the article 1 peice of shrimp should be perfect for 29 gallons correct?... do i let it completely rott to nothing?... do i remove the hard peice?

-Brad
Old 12-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Wink

Quote:
whats the best way to go about lowering ph? does that stuff that they sell at big als actually work i think its called perfect PH or something. i have yet to turn the thermometer on ... as i ran out of plugs and only have power bars without grounds..
Quote:
yeah thats what i figured... to clarify what i read in the article 1 peice of shrimp should be perfect for 29 gallons correct?... do i let it completely rott to nothing?... do i remove the hard peice?

-Brad
I would not worry about you PH level till your cycling is almost done. Your PH would go down once you start doing PWC weekly. I am sure you started reading the Article about Fishless cycle. That's would be your best way to cycle without harming any fish along the way.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:

-Brad
One nice size piece would workout great. Once your done and it's all rotten you can leave it in there once you get your first CUC for a nice snack. Or first Feast.....,
Old 12-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
I would not worry about you PH level till your cycling is almost done. Your PH would go down once you start doing PWC weekly. I am sure you started reading the Article about Fishless cycle. That's would be your best way to cycle without harming any fish along the way.
Rock on. one less thing off the mind. so my misson tomorow is to get 30ish pounds of live rock... some base rock and 5 cents worth of completely unprocessed shrimp.

sound like a plan? or am i really missing something.

also is it better to shut off the powerhead and filter to get the dust to settle in the tank?

thanks again

-Brad
Old 12-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

You can keep it on that way the water clears up faster. usually it would take about 2-5 days for it be crystal clear.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

even with no cartridge and no bioballs.

all that i have in the back right now is the skimmer in chamber 1. so pieces of large rock that came in the sand... when i say large i mean like 2 inchs. in chamber 3 is the pump and sponge.

would putting an air rock in there speed it up... or would that be counter effective?

thanks again
-Brad
Old 12-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #29
Sliced Bread

Do you have any old HOB filter? I do, so I put it on my tank with nothing but filter floss, water was crystal clear in < 24 hours.

Otherwise, without some form of mechanical filtration, you just have to let it settle. Leave everything running, it'll collect in a corner somewhere that can be vacuumed out.

Also, on your pH, make sure you have good surface agitation, this will help it.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive angled one of my biocube cartidges into the second chamber... hopefully this helps.

also... what does HOB mean? lol

-Brad

Tags
29 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com