29 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltlife15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I plan on getting a 29 gallon glass tank for saltwater purposes. I want to put fish and coral in it. In order to get it started what would I need if I only have just the tanks.

Your best bet it to go buy the bio cube. But if you have the tank already is suggest doing only a fish with live rock tank. And use a hang in the back filter preferably emperor bio wheel and maybe later add a turbo twist uv light

Craigslist is your best friend in this hobby. Especially if you live in a larger city where there is alot of people into sw tanks. If I were you id start with a 40 breeder. Ive never had a 29 gal but its probably only 12 inches wide. When you start putting rock in it, it starts getting packed and you have less movement for you, rock, and your live stock. A 40 breeder is 18 inches wide it is more shallow, but you can get away with less exspensive lighting to grow corals that you want. I think its like 15 or 17 ins tall compared to many tanks with around 20 to 24 ins. The 18 ins in width will give you plenty of space for rock in the back and alot more swimming room for fish and area for coral placement. I had a 55 gal for my first sw tank and at first I liked it then I started to think, "this sucks I cant move anything". I upgraded to a 125 which is 18 ins wide and just that much extra space actually makes you happier it looks better bc you dont have to pile your rock straight up you can stagger it and have a morw depth of field with more room for fish. The price im not sure how much they cost new. I bought 2 on craiglist at different time one for 25 and the other for 40. Also look and see if there is a forum for you state. I live in kentucky and ours ia called big blue reef and sometime you can find deals there. Possible if you know where a petco is wait until there 1$ per gallon sale is going and pick you one up. Thats what I think. I would rather have a 40b than a 55 gal evem though its 15 gals less but the dimesions are so much better. If I had to do it over again thats what I would have done.

I have a 29 gallon that I put together with economy in mind. 40 lbs of sand, probably about 50-60 lbs of sand, sicce voyager 3 power head, fluval heater and I started with a deep blue dual T-5 lamp fixture then the reef bug hit me and I upgraded to ai sols. My tank is very happy, parameters are very stable. I have lps, sps, softies in it. It has been running for about a year and now I just started my second tank a 34 gallon and I am setting it up the same way.

Saltwater isn't cheap. If you take the cheap route on everything, you may be kicking yourself later. There are things to splurge on that will pay off in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom