Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

29 gallon tank here we go!

i just got my 29 gallon tank into my room last night with the stand. ive been looking at the posts on here for about a month now so i think i good handle on whats going on so i went to the lfs today and started buying the stuff to set it up i purchased a protien skimmer it is a "cpr aquatic, inc." brand is this a good protien skimmer or was the man just trying to sell me something??? i also picked up a JbJ powerhead is this a good one it has an adapter peice so it can spray both ways!?!?

Old 05-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

one more question the lfs guy told me if i was gonna do a reef tank that i have to add the live sand and the live rock at the same time is this true?

Old 05-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i also picked up a JbJ powerhead is this a good one it has an adapter peice so it can spray both ways!?!?
I would suggest just adding a second powerhead.
Quote:
one more question the lfs guy told me if i was gonna do a reef tank that i have to add the live sand and the live rock at the same time is this true?
This is not ture. It may be easier to add them at the same time and cycle the LR and sand with the tank, however, you can add cured LR later if you want. I would suggest doing at the begining.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

well guys i picked up 30 gallons of ro water today and im getting closer to the start of this thing i cant wait!!!!! im still trying to figure out if i want a fish only tank or a fowlr tank what is the difference between a reef tank and a fowlr tank???
Old 05-12-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

FO = Fish only, and FOWLR = Fish only with live rock. A reef system should also consist of lr and sand as well. There are lighting requirements to think about with a reef. If I were beginning, I think I would do a FOWLR so I can get experience with it. Reef tanks can get expensive! Take your time and research though. This is a hobby of patience, and without it, you will be disappointed.
Also, remember you have a 29g tank, so if you like a particular fish, check the requirements (tank size) for them. liveaquaria.com has a pretty good chart for determining tank size for fish, temperament, and feeding. Good luck to you!

Mike
Old 05-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

so what your saying is if i have the fish and live rock but i do not have the live sand it is a fowlr tank and not a reeef?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

No. LS, LR, and fish still make up a FOWLR. These are also the same components of a Reef system. Reefs are in general more difficult to keep as water parameters can be challenging sometimes, and corals are pretty expensive depending on what you want. Heavy Filtration is also helpful in a reef system as well as lighting.
You can start out with a FOWLR, and simply make it a reef as long as you go with LR and sand in the beginning.

Mike

Tags
29 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com