Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessa99
How come my posts with links need approval? Will this turn off after I have a certain number of posts?
Honestly I'm not sure. You can go to the tech section of the forum and ask there.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey Convict, could you help direct me towards some lighting that would be like $150ish? I really want to have a thriving and diverse reef, much like yours! And of course an anemone...

Thanks for all your help! Seems no one is is around?!?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hey Convict, could you help direct me towards some lighting that would be like $150ish? I really want to have a thriving and diverse reef, much like yours! And of course an anemone...

Thanks for all your help! Seems no one is is around?!?
lol there around. Just takes a little bit sometimes or maybe I'm doing ok so far lol.

Anyway...

You can check eBay or Craigslist.

LED's would be ideal it will help with heat issues and allow you to keep your stock hood. If you wanna take the hood off then you could go with a T5 HO fixture or a Metal halide one. Even an LED fixture with some mounting brackets or you can hang the fixture from the ceiling.

You do have options, just depends on what route you wanna go. Timers, thunderstorm effect, ramp up ramp down effect, moonlights etc...

Do it yourself LED kit

Name:   image-2802604931.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  35.2 KB

Of you were to go topless

Name:   image-3139438205.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:   image-2106990598.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  35.3 KB

This is the AI Nano Super Blue. You have up to 16 timers you can set. So set it and forget it.

Name:   image-1392991514.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  31.7 KB

I went with the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture. I gutted my stock hood and put the light in. I wanted to keep the stock hood because I happen to like the sleekness of the tank.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a few links on some light upgrades.

http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-29-d...it-kit-24-led/

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=241228

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2022342

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Biocube-2...trofit-kit.htm

http://reefledlights.com/shop/

Not sure if I showed you. But I just went with the AI SOL BLUE and cut the hood then installed. Took all of 10 minutes. I liked the stock hood and so did the wife.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-782574328.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	112257

Name:	image-3918465861.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	112258

Name:	image-3495317626.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	112259

Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Would this be an upgrade that would allow for many types of coral?

BIOCUBE 29 GALLON LED LIGHT DIY UPGRADE KIT W/BALLAST DIMMABLE 36W NANO AQUARIUM on eBay!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Would this be an upgrade that would allow for many types of coral?

BIOCUBE 29 GALLON LED LIGHT DIY UPGRADE KIT W/BALLAST DIMMABLE 36W NANO AQUARIUM on eBay!
It's not really clear though on what it's pushing out. I'd be weary of that if I was a buyer. Like what is it upgrading too? You know what I mean? Like what is the Par or wattage etc. 10k,20k etc.

Lights aren't my strong suit but or example I know a lot of lights will have a Par measurement and will say either 10 or 20k.

eBay is a good place to look though. I'm sure there are better ones or at least ones with a better description.

Sorry I can't help more with lighting.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was looking at the exact same upgrade on ebay for my biocube. lol I was really turned off by the sellers feedback rating. Plus you can go to Rapid LED and find similar options that you can do yourself. I was looking at a 36 or 24 led setup for my cube and they would be 3watts each. Alot depends on the driver you get for the leds. Some can drive almost up to the max 3 watts while some will only run at half that but it saves the lights for longer life.

I havent gone ahead yet with my upgrade, still just feeling out the stock lights to see what they can and cant grow. So far they all seem fine so I may put off the led upgrade even longer.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi Carey, I think I will have to wait on the LED's as well....

Now my next problem.... That bio rack/refugium that was posted earlier from Biocube 29

What do I put on those racks?

I just traded a PS3 for the cube today, and it has a bunch of bioballs in it that I will be removing....

Also, the clear splash guard protecting the lights is NASTY, Im not sure light could even go through it.... How would I go about cleaning it? Or can I fashion my own DIY plexiglass covering?

So I still plan on ordering a test kit and refractometer, but Im still not sure about mixing my own water, kind of scary! Petco has 5 gallon pre mixed for like $12 but that seems way to expensive to keep up with water changes....

Oh well, I look forward to my learning experience!

Also all the black plastic in the back seems very crusty and dirty, is there a good way to clean this? Bleach? Vinegar? HOT water?

Thanks for all the help friends, I feel so out of my league! I truly appreciate all the help!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hi Carey, I think I will have to wait on the LED's as well....

Now my next problem.... That bio rack/refugium that was posted earlier from Biocube 29

What do I put on those racks?

I just traded a PS3 for the cube today, and it has a bunch of bioballs in it that I will be removing....

Also, the clear splash guard protecting the lights is NASTY, Im not sure light could even go through it.... How would I go about cleaning it? Or can I fashion my own DIY plexiglass covering?

So I still plan on ordering a test kit and refractometer, but Im still not sure about mixing my own water, kind of scary! Petco has 5 gallon pre mixed for like $12 but that seems way to expensive to keep up with water changes....

Oh well, I look forward to my learning experience!

Also all the black plastic in the back seems very crusty and dirty, is there a good way to clean this? Bleach? Vinegar? HOT water?

Thanks for all the help friends, I feel so out of my league! I truly appreciate all the help!
Don't feel out of your league. I was so nervous when I first went into the saltwater game but you'll be fine. A mixture of vinegar and water will clean all that up. A good plastic cleaner will clean the splash guard(any auto part store will have a plastic re conditioner)

When you toss the media balls. Knock out the false floors so you can fit the inTank media rack. You'll run top filter floss, middle purigen and bottom chemi pure elite.

I happen to run chemi pure elite in the first chamber with my heater and in the rack on the bottom I run phosguard.

If you don't have your RO unit your gonna have to buy the pre made stuff. I'd check with your LFS if you have a mom and pop shop. They'd probably sell it cheaper. My buddy makes his own and sells a 5 gallon bucket for 6 bucks. But he only does this for a select few.

I think, actually I know you'll do just fine. It is intimidating at first but you'll get the hang of it. 9 months with mine and I still don't make my own water

Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Petco also sells water this isn't salted already! You have to ask for it in the aquatics dept and bring some 5 gallon buckets. It's not advertised, but it's 25 cents/gallon. Then buy some salt and add 2 1/2 cups salt into each 5 gallon bucket to get around 1.025 salinity.

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com