29g BioCube?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lessa99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Friends,

This will be my first foray into the world of saltwater, and I CAN'T wait! But I'm scared! I'm planning on a 29 gallon Bio Cube that I will be trading for hopefully soon!

I'm wondering if you friends can help me plan stocking and whatever else I will need to keep the tank running healthy...

How long will my cycle take? I have an API Freshwater test kit, so what additional test equipment should I get?

This cube has a skimmer, heater, I believe some "live" rock. I just don't know what else I need...

Are these biocube's good for beginners? Everything I have read indicates that it does really well and is easy to care for with beginners....

So is the stocking 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish? and does coral count in this equation?

Help me stock this! Only must have is likely 2 clowns!

Thanks Friends,
Lessa

Lessa99 said:
Hey Friends,

This will be my first foray into the world of saltwater, and I CAN'T wait! But I'm scared! I'm planning on a 29 gallon Bio Cube that I will be trading for hopefully soon!

I'm wondering if you friends can help me plan stocking and whatever else I will need to keep the tank running healthy...

How long will my cycle take? I have an API Freshwater test kit, so what additional test equipment should I get?

This cube has a skimmer, heater, I believe some "live" rock. I just don't know what else I need...

Are these biocube's good for beginners? Everything I have read indicates that it does really well and is easy to care for with beginners....

So is the stocking 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish? and does coral count in this equation?

Help me stock this! Only must have is likely 2 clowns!

Thanks Friends,
Lessa

The freshwater test kit will work for salt but you need a saltwater testing card.

Cycle takes around 1 month

Biocubes re great for beginners and there really isnt any necessary equipment you need to run it

1" per gallon is not a good wayto stock a tank... Especially not a saltwater tank. You can probably have 4-5 nano fish. 2 clowns would be ok.

You can put as many corals as you want

Do I need a Powerhead or 2? Or are they built in?

So just the nano fish listed on LiveAquaria? Nothing bigger? How bout this "Clean Up Crew?"

I dont own the system, but yes you will need 2 powerheads. Hopefully someone with the system chimes in....

And ya the nano section is great. There are a few other sections that would be fine to look at such as gobies, blennies, chromis, dwarf angels, etc.

Clean up grew is just an assortment of hermit crabs and snails. Reef cleaners is a good place to get them

Nice to meet you Lessa! I just posted this in a friends thread and thought this might help you as I own a 9 month old BC29 and love it.

I didn't pick apart the post. I just copied and pasted it. But it should help you.

Ok I'm by no means an expert as you know

Bigger is better in saltwater, there's more room for error. Smaller tank and things can go bad fast.

Now again what I can tell you is based on my own experience and knowledge, hopefully the more seasoned saltys will chime in.

I happen to like the all in one tanks like the BC29 or the JBJ's etc... Also just to add my friend has a very nice 10 gallon tank with a power head and a aquaclear 110. I'll post pics when he sends them. You won't believe it's a 10 gallon!

So back on track. You'll need a power head or power heads depending on flow. You can get power heads from Koralia, Tunze or even Aqueon or go with a really nice unit like the MP10 which is much more then a power head IMO.

You can use a 10 gallon and still have a nice set up IMO am use it to get your feet wet so to speak. And when your comfortably you can always upgrade. The choice is yours.

You'll need a RO/DI unit for making your salt water. I happen to get it pre mixed from a friend.

Your going to want a refractometer also so you can test your salinity.

Your gonna need a saltwater test kit. API or the more expensive BUT more reliable one Salifert kits.

Live rock also. Your gonna want some. You need all live rock but I believe some is good as it will help cycle and act as natural filtration for your tank. Live sand, you don't need it. I used it but I've read and have friends that haven't and I don't see a difference.

Lighting. I'd go with LED's. If you go small like a 10 gallon your options are still good and you can find some amazing LED's on eBay or Craigslist.

I hope this helps a little. Sorry I'm still new. My tank as you know is 9 months old.

Google can be a good friend here as well as the saltys on the forum.

I'm throw in some links you may find helpful.

PS glad your keeping your word! I'll be sure to start a planted build thread when I'm ready

http://www.thereeftank.com/blog/sett...ater-aquarium/

Check out there other videos also.

Test kits

http://www.aquacave.com/Salifert-Aqu...FQjc4Aod_w0A2g

Power heads

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...ps/c/3578/4586

MP10

http://www.aquacave.com/Vortech-MP10...P2821C789.aspx

RO/DI units

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-r...s-systems.html

Refractometer

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...57&pcatid=9957

I hope this helps, again I know it's very basic as far as the information I gave. But I hope at least it gets the wheels turning. I wish I could be more help to ya.

I didn't add anything about a skimmer because if you choose something small that's under 30 gallons you really don't need one if your good with weekly water changes.

I won't get into corals and stock just yet.

Again hope this helped.

Dino

Those are some great links Convict!

So how many GPH will my 2 powerheads need?

I do want to eventually have an anemone but will like just stick with mostly soft corals and maybe a couple of hard ones....

Since I can not afford an RO/DI unit how do I go about mixing my own salt water?

Lessa99 said:
Those are some great links Convict!

So how many GPH will my 2 powerheads need?

I do want to eventually have an anemone but will like just stick with mostly soft corals and maybe a couple of hard ones....

Since I can not afford an RO/DI unit how do I go about mixing my own salt water?

I get my saltwater pre mixed from my buddy who owns a mom and pop shop. If you can't afford a RO unit I would strongly suggest getting from your LFS if you can. Or you can get it in large jugs (5 gallons) from some supermarkets. You'd have to buy the salt of course. Put a power head in a bucket and a heater to temp match what your tank water is. Add salt and let mix over night. You'll need a refractometer to measure your salinity while mixing. I'm sorry I can't be of more help on that department as I haven't mixed my own as of yet.

As far as a nem goes. Is it the HQI? Or the compacts? Those compacts aren't enough for a nem and you don't wanna put one in early on anyway. You'd need to upgrade your lighting to expand your coral selection.

I had two Koralia 425's when I started. So that's about 900gph then you have to factor in the chamber pump upgraded to the MJ1200 which is 295gph. You could always just add 1 MP10 which is the route I went if your budget allows.

It really is an amazing unit to have and it much more then a power head IMO. It moves the entire body of water it's pretty sick. You can make waves in your tank and there are so many modes and options.

I've only been in the SW game for 9 months do hopefully others will chime in that have more experience but I can offer my experience so far and my journey to modding out my cube.

Here's a recent pic

image-1298607564.jpg

Here's my first vid of the modded tank. I'm gonna make a new one since I've change some corals and added a few along with adding the MP10. But this should give you an idea of what can be done.

Last edited:
How come my posts with links need approval? Will this turn off after I have a certain number of posts?

Lessa99 said:
How come my posts with links need approval? Will this turn off after I have a certain number of posts?

Honestly I'm not sure. You can go to the tech section of the forum and ask there.

Hey Convict, could you help direct me towards some lighting that would be like $150ish? I really want to have a thriving and diverse reef, much like yours! And of course an anemone...

Thanks for all your help! Seems no one is is around?!?

Lessa99 said:
Hey Convict, could you help direct me towards some lighting that would be like $150ish? I really want to have a thriving and diverse reef, much like yours! And of course an anemone...

Thanks for all your help! Seems no one is is around?!?

lol there around. Just takes a little bit sometimes or maybe I'm doing ok so far lol.

Anyway...

You can check eBay or Craigslist.

LED's would be ideal it will help with heat issues and allow you to keep your stock hood. If you wanna take the hood off then you could go with a T5 HO fixture or a Metal halide one. Even an LED fixture with some mounting brackets or you can hang the fixture from the ceiling.

You do have options, just depends on what route you wanna go. Timers, thunderstorm effect, ramp up ramp down effect, moonlights etc...

Do it yourself LED kit
image-2802604931.jpg

Of you were to go topless
image-3139438205.jpg

image-2106990598.jpg

This is the AI Nano Super Blue. You have up to 16 timers you can set. So set it and forget it.
image-1392991514.jpg

I went with the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture. I gutted my stock hood and put the light in. I wanted to keep the stock hood because I happen to like the sleekness of the tank.

Here's a few links on some light upgrades.

http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-29-dimmable-retrofit-kit-24-led/

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241228

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2022342

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Biocube-29-Gallon-LED-retrofit-kit-Biocube-29-Gallon-retrofit-kit.htm

http://reefledlights.com/shop/

Not sure if I showed you. But I just went with the AI SOL BLUE and cut the hood then installed. Took all of 10 minutes. I liked the stock hood and so did the wife.

image-782574328.jpg

image-3918465861.jpg

image-3495317626.jpg

Lessa99 said:

It's not really clear though on what it's pushing out. I'd be weary of that if I was a buyer. Like what is it upgrading too? You know what I mean? Like what is the Par or wattage etc. 10k,20k etc.

Lights aren't my strong suit but or example I know a lot of lights will have a Par measurement and will say either 10 or 20k.

eBay is a good place to look though. I'm sure there are better ones or at least ones with a better description.

Sorry I can't help more with lighting.

I was looking at the exact same upgrade on ebay for my biocube. lol I was really turned off by the sellers feedback rating. Plus you can go to Rapid LED and find similar options that you can do yourself. :) I was looking at a 36 or 24 led setup for my cube and they would be 3watts each. Alot depends on the driver you get for the leds. Some can drive almost up to the max 3 watts while some will only run at half that but it saves the lights for longer life. :)

I havent gone ahead yet with my upgrade, still just feeling out the stock lights to see what they can and cant grow. So far they all seem fine so I may put off the led upgrade even longer.

Hi Carey, I think I will have to wait on the LED's as well....

Now my next problem.... That bio rack/refugium that was posted earlier from Biocube 29

What do I put on those racks?

I just traded a PS3 for the cube today, and it has a bunch of bioballs in it that I will be removing....

Also, the clear splash guard protecting the lights is NASTY, Im not sure light could even go through it.... How would I go about cleaning it? Or can I fashion my own DIY plexiglass covering?

So I still plan on ordering a test kit and refractometer, but Im still not sure about mixing my own water, kind of scary! Petco has 5 gallon pre mixed for like $12 but that seems way to expensive to keep up with water changes....

Oh well, I look forward to my learning experience!

Also all the black plastic in the back seems very crusty and dirty, is there a good way to clean this? Bleach? Vinegar? HOT water?

Thanks for all the help friends, I feel so out of my league! I truly appreciate all the help!

Lessa99 said:
Hi Carey, I think I will have to wait on the LED's as well....

Now my next problem.... That bio rack/refugium that was posted earlier from Biocube 29

What do I put on those racks?

I just traded a PS3 for the cube today, and it has a bunch of bioballs in it that I will be removing....

Also, the clear splash guard protecting the lights is NASTY, Im not sure light could even go through it.... How would I go about cleaning it? Or can I fashion my own DIY plexiglass covering?

So I still plan on ordering a test kit and refractometer, but Im still not sure about mixing my own water, kind of scary! Petco has 5 gallon pre mixed for like $12 but that seems way to expensive to keep up with water changes....

Oh well, I look forward to my learning experience!

Also all the black plastic in the back seems very crusty and dirty, is there a good way to clean this? Bleach? Vinegar? HOT water?

Thanks for all the help friends, I feel so out of my league! I truly appreciate all the help!

Don't feel out of your league. I was so nervous when I first went into the saltwater game but you'll be fine. A mixture of vinegar and water will clean all that up. A good plastic cleaner will clean the splash guard(any auto part store will have a plastic re conditioner)

When you toss the media balls. Knock out the false floors so you can fit the inTank media rack. You'll run top filter floss, middle purigen and bottom chemi pure elite.

I happen to run chemi pure elite in the first chamber with my heater and in the rack on the bottom I run phosguard.

If you don't have your RO unit your gonna have to buy the pre made stuff. I'd check with your LFS if you have a mom and pop shop. They'd probably sell it cheaper. My buddy makes his own and sells a 5 gallon bucket for 6 bucks. But he only does this for a select few.

I think, actually I know you'll do just fine. It is intimidating at first but you'll get the hang of it. 9 months with mine and I still don't make my own water ;)

Petco also sells water this isn't salted already! You have to ask for it in the aquatics dept and bring some 5 gallon buckets. It's not advertised, but it's 25 cents/gallon. Then buy some salt and add 2 1/2 cups salt into each 5 gallon bucket to get around 1.025 salinity.

Back
Top Bottom