29g Stocking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, should I have a "clean-up crew" would the shrimp be enough, or should I get some snails, hermits, etc.?

I would recommend some snails. :) I really like my Mexican Turbo Snails, they do a fantastic job with algae!

You could get Hermits too, but I don't consider them a necessity if you already have the shrimp. To be on the safe side I would add a few.

KonvictKeeper said:
I'm not going to do that fire shrimp either, or the black clown. I don't want to spend more than $25 on a fish/shrimp. Maybe a peppermint shrimp instead? $5.50 at my LFS. Fire's are like $40.

Peppermint shrimp are good for aptasia so that's a plus. Maybe just get a true perc clown. I don't think I've seen em more than 20 a piece.

Clean up crew is your preference. Some people go light some get alot of em. lol

I have 20 nassarius snails and like 4 hermits in my 29g. I also have 3 peppermints and a cleaner shrimp and 2 emerald crabs. I don't have any algae eating snails, the nassarius ones go under the sand and eat uneaten food. They also keep your sand aerated so I would get a handful of those.

KonvictKeeper said:
Also, should I have a "clean-up crew" would the shrimp be enough, or should I get some snails, hermits, etc.?

I would definitely get some nassarius snails ad some astreas. I would recommend one emerald crab and a hermit as well. Unless you are gonna glue everything down (such as your frags) you might want to hold off on the Mexican turbo. They tend to knock stuff over.

Jlsardina said:
I would definitely get some nassarius snails ad some astreas. I would recommend one emerald crab and a hermit as well. Unless you are gonna glue everything down (such as your frags) you might want to hold off on the Mexican turbo. They tend to knock stuff over.

True, I always fail to include that part, LOL. They are bittersweet, they do a great job with algae, but will knock over corals. Sorry about that.

carey said:
Not much to do at 8 in the morning on a saturday lol

I never have a lot to do on Saturday mornings either. A few Saturdays in the past I have been on AA about half of the day straight. :hide:

Thanks for all the replies! I have some questions!
1. Do perculas and ocellaris mix?
2. Could I do:

15 nassarius snails
1 hermit
1 emerald crab
2 peppermints
1 banded shrimp?
2 percula/ocellaris clown (i personally like perculas more)
1 yellow clown goby
1 firefish

3. What kind of salt should I use?
4. What food should I feed?

KonvictKeeper said:
Thanks for all the replies! I have some questions!
1. Do perculas and ocellaris mix?
2. Could I do:

15 nassarius snails
1 hermit
1 emerald crab
2 peppermints
1 banded shrimp?
2 percula/ocellaris clown (i personally like perculas more)
1 yellow clown goby
1 firefish

Unfortunately, Perculas and Ocellaris' will fight because they aren't from the same family.

I wouldn't put Peppermint Shrimps in with a Banded Shrimp because Bandeds have been known to kill other shrimps. I hear of some people keeping the two together, but I personally wouldn't do it.
:)

KonvictKeeper said:
Thanks! I'll do perculas then. How many peppermints could I do without the banded? Just one?

Nope you could do more than one. I would say about 4, maybe 1 or 2 more. Hey, that rhymes! LOL

I use reef crystals when I mix my own. As far as food, mysis and bribe shrimp is what I feed. And maybe some seaweed later on if the need calls.

I would say so, just add a one or two at a time, and if no aggression is shown, add one or two more until you get to 4-5. (Does that make sense, LOL).

redsea said:
I would say so, just add a one or two at a time, and if no aggression is shown, add one or two more until you get to 4-5. (Does that make sense, LOL).

+1 on this. But remember that peppermint shrimp are nocturnal and need plenty of spaces to hide. If you are looking for an active shrimp, these aren't the ones for you. I have three in my 220 gallon and only see them when I change my rockwork.

Thanks again! And I have frozen mysis and bribe (hehe) shrimp on hand at all times.
Instant ocean seems to be the preferred brand. And yes redsea that makes perfect sense :)
I would like to see them... Are there other active/cheap shrimp I could get?

KonvictKeeper said:
Thanks again! And I have frozen mysis and bribe (hehe) shrimp on hand at all times.
Instant ocean seems to be the preferred brand. And yes redsea that makes perfect sense :)
I would like to see them... Are there other active/cheap shrimp I could get?

I really like my cleaner shrimp. I think I paid 25$ for him. But prices where I live are a little high so it could be cheaper for you. The cleaner shrimp have the nice reds in them. They pick a "station" in the tank. But I love watching the fish line up to get cleaned. It's like having a little fish car wash in your tank. Lol

Back
Top Bottom