29g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DSB help keep your Nitrates down it will help with your Nitrogen Cycle. You'll eventually see bubbles coming out of your sand bed....

Well, today we went into Petsmart to return the eclipse system 3 and exchange it due to a cracked impeller housing on the filter and we decided to pick up some other stuff heres a list:

2 koralia 1's
10k bulb
actinic bulb
red sea salt
hydrometer (temporary until I order a refractometer)
bucket to mix sw in
siphon
API master saltwater test kit
stand

And thats about it I wasn't to sure what else I'll need I was thinking about getting the Reef master test kit but I figured I wouldn't need it for awhile. Petsmart had the koralia 1's now but they were sold out of nano's so I figured I'd get 2 1's and if it was too strong of a current I'd just put 1 in my 29g fw and pick up a nano.
If I need anything else please tell me.

What is base rock. I'd use all live rock so you get the added filtration.

Well, today we went to Petland to get live rock. Got 8lbs. of figi for $7.99 a pound with about 20lbs. of base rock at $2.29 a pound. While we were waiting on the fish guy that was helping a lady that was trying to decide which angelfish out of the remaing 2 that she wanted.......we looked at their display reef and my mom saw a goby and liked it so now she wants one. My question is, is there a goby that I could put in a 20g with 2 percula clowns, or is that pushing the stocking limits? Another question, Petland had coral that was 60% off like they always have when I go in there so I decided to look at it for once, some of which that I liked were duncans, BTA's, mushrooms, and zoanthids can I get all of these with my lighting when my tank becomes mature?

Are your lighting T5 or PC or CF? Let us know the wattage as well...
I think if you just gonna get a goby, it should be okay... cause the goby doesn't move as much :) and it's not aggressive at all...

Once you tell us your lighting, we can help you if your lighting are sufficient, from your listing, mushroom and zoanthids will do okay, but I just want to be sure.

Last edited:
cool... okay, i dunno much about duncans, but zoas and mushrooms shall do fine in ur tank... BTA needs stability of your tank first... since you just got a liverock, we'll see if the tank established yet and then I think it's possible for you to add BTA, but I let the experts chime in on this...

Last edited:
Wait, so when I add my fish after its finished cycling (starting cycle on Sunday) I can add zoas and mushrooms? Also, about the goby and the percs. can I mix without agression and without pushing the stocking limits?

HI Thom,

I don't mean for you to add everything together... I'm just saying that your lights will be sufficient for those... As for your fish, I would start with the Two false perculas first.... Monitor them for a month... if everything goes well and it's all stable, you can start adding the Goby and the corals if you want, but not too many at one time... I hope that clarifies better.

What is base rock. I'd use all live rock so you get the added filtration.

Base rock is dry rock that no longer has the beneficial bacteria on it needed to break down ammonia and nitrites. If cured while cycling the tank then it will become live over time. It is a much cheaper alternative then buying all LR. I wish yrs ago someone would have told be about BR. I got 200 lbs of LR at 8.99 a lb. I guess you see what I mean. :???:

Well, for cycling I was planning on doing fishless but menards didn't have pure ammonia and my dad didn't want to get shrimp because he got ancy and wanted fish right away so he got two clowns from Petland (I had no say, he got them on the way home from work) and about four days after getting them one of them died. I think I found the culprit..... on the bottom of my live rock the is like a white covering over it that is smoothe. Anyone know what this is? We got a new computer a few days ago so if I find my dads camera I may be able to get a pic. The other clown is fine by the way, but I'm still worried.

I just changed some water I noticed that I had little worm like things that are about a centimeter long and are kind of white/grey clinging to my hands and wrists.

Back
Top Bottom