29gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flammable

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start converting my freshwater setup to a Saltwater setup. I have a 29gal Tank with a 125 Bio Wheel. What i want to do is just do LR and a few Fish. I just need to know what i will be needing to convert the tank over to salt. How much LR should i get and what kind of sand & Salt and how much? And what kind of fish should i do

Thanks

Alot of people suggest 1 1/2 to 2pds of lr per gallon. With about 60pds of lr you will have natural filtration for youe sw tank. If you cant get 60pds right now, get as much as you can afford.

The salt I get says to use 1 cup per gallon, but that is too much from what I found out. The salt you purchase will tell you how much to use. Alot of people make up the water and add salt until they get the amount that they want. I would purchase a 50gallon bag to start off with, unless you can afford to get the bucket, which in the long run will be cheaper. You always need a good amount of extra salt just in case.

As for fish, thats really your preference. Do you want a passive or aggressive tank?

HTH so far! :wink:

I was thinking maybe some clown fish . Do i need to put the LR in before i Cycle the Tank or after. What about Filtration/Circulation and lighting should i use Live Sand?

You can use the lr too cycle your tank, with frequent water changes. That is what I would do. :wink:

Yes use LS or CC. Most prefer ls. I used cc, and am now in the process of going with the live sand. So go LS.

Your LR will be your filtration. I would get a couple of powerheads. (not to strong)

And I would def. get a protein skimmer, especially with lr.

I have 105pds of lr in my 75g, thats around a 1 1/2 pd ratio, and a protein skimmer. After the tank cycled, I have had no issues at all with my water parameters. I am going to get about 60 more pds of lr soon though.

Are you going to set up a sump? :wink:

Sounds like you are well on your way, cant wait to see pics. :wink:

I don't know about the sump yet. How many Percula clown fish could i put in a 29gal. Thanks for all the help revhtree

I have a 29 gal, and so far have got a pair of clowns, a nice firefish and a longnose hawkfish (which is a must for any tank! lol). They seem really happy scooting around between the rocks/corals. Hopefully soon add an anemone.
FYI - i use an Aqua C remora skimmer, a penguin 550 power head and a Magnum 350 canister filter (mainly for the carbon and water movement is provides). I went with about 4 inches of play sand, plus a bag of live sand/crushed coral mixed into it for texture and support. I guess my lr to water ratio is about 1lb per gallon, water params are great, and all fish looking great. I use a 50/50 compact florescent tube as my light source.
Hope some of the above might be some help!

Back
Top Bottom