Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Question 2nd tank, keep me in line guys!

my first tank was brackish, so i have minimal saltwater experience.
After visiting my LFS, which has a wonderfully large and beautiful selection, my aquiarium mania was resparked.

Im purchasing a 50G tank (im assuming, its in a general store and is used)
so ihave a few questions.

1) I'm moving in two months so if i cycle now and have my fish/inv. can i just take the water from the tank and reuse it when i move the tank?

2) Why is it important to get the tank to turn over (via powerheads or closed loop)

3)can i use play sand as my substrate ifit doesnt affect my PH? the sand i have is so beautifully white.

4)Is a sump just a closed circut powerhead that is outside the tank?

5)Is a skimmer really needed? (i've read that they are better for LR and coral tanks. can i go without it?)

6) any advice you can give? bumps in the road, etc?

Thanks i really hope i get some help, id really appreciate it!

BTW) in my tank i'm lookin into emrald crab(s), pink florida sea anenomie, some fish whose names i can not recall.
this link helped me more than anything else while im starting up a tank for the first time
hope this helps someone!
zeig is offline   Reply With Quote

line, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com