Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
3 choices on a new SW fish tank

It's been a while, but I have sold my SA Cichlid tank and decided to go back to SW. I have (3) choices that I am interested in and need advice. I understand there are a lot of opinions out there and will be willing to hear the positive and negative. First, I have just sold my 55 SA Cichlid tank for $250 and want to get started in a SW tank for around $350. I have seen a number of good deals on Craigslist. Option #1 is keep it simple: go with a 29g BioCube. I would have inverts, corals, and small fish. I will not buy a tank without a UV filter, and the biocube has that among other things. As with all options, I will start slow and buy/increase as I am able. I think clowns, star fish, and other inverts are a good start with the bio cube. Option #2: A 72 bowfront. I have found a number of good deals. 72 is the largest I would want to go. For Option #2, I would propose all store-bought fish, no live rock, no inverts other than simple stuff. I would have either a canister or wet-dry, UV filter, and protein skimmer. I would go with a dog face puffer as the central fish, and some other compatible larger fish. Option #3 is a local tank. Same set up as Option #2, but everything would be local. I live in Charleston, sc and am a serious shrimper. I have caught many interesting fish in my cast net including puffers, hatchet fish, eels, butterfly fish, and small flouder. I have successfully kept a box puffer for over 2 years, caught in the harbor. I am not a novice, and understand about quarantine tanks, and other precautions. I would definitely release anything that got too big. These are the options that I am thinking about and wanted to let the remarks and opinions fly. Thank you in advance for your time.
Top 10 reasons I procrastinate:
toughguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com