3 gal marine tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikedurrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible to set up a 3 gallon marine tank?

If so what would I need to convert the 3g tank from freshwater to sw and what fish/inverts could go into it if it is possible?

Thanks,

Mike.

It is very possible to do this,,, However, if you are not familiar with the ways of a SW aquarium and how it works, it will be very difficult to maintain..I would suggest not doing it as a first tank situation.. Many of us that are experienced are plagued by the constant attention needed to monitor and maintain a small nano tank... In a 3 gallon, you are not going to be able to keep more than 1 fish, and a small one at that... it is best when dealing with a nano tank such as 3 gallons, that they be stricktly invert setups.. hermits, soft corals, etc...

I will let some others comment.. And please do not take this as a discouragement... I am merely sharing my experience with keeping a nano...

i have nanos and yes it is a lot of attention. Small water volume means small mistakes can wreak havoc on a tank. If youre not used to salt water then it can be tough, i think the hardest part is the cycle and just waiting for it to be over so that you can have SOMETHING in it. I wouldnt go with anything under 10g otherwise youre looking at constant water changes, not to mention finding a really small heater to fit in a 3g. Lighting something that small poses problems too with retrofit kits and keeping a lot of heat out of the hood. But like timbo said, dont be discouraged, ive seen 7g nanos that are just awesome. Try nano-reef.com its a huge help to see how others have done it.

biotoxin said:
i think the hardest part is the cycle and just waiting for it to be over so that you can have SOMETHING in it. I wouldnt go with anything under 10g otherwise youre looking at constant water changes, not to mention finding a really small heater to fit in a 3g.

Thanks for the quick replies.... :p

I already have a heater in my 3 gallon tank, it is really small!!! Not too worried about having to wait for the tank to cycle, I already have an 18 gallon FW set-up going next to it so it wouldn't be too hard to wait.

What else would I need to buy, at the moment I have an air-powered bottom filter packed with activated carbon and poly wool, would this need to go or could the filter media just be replaced?

Think I would go for a fish only setup, would this remove some of the lighting problems?

What kind of small fish would it be possible to keep?

Thanks again for the help, just curious at this stage......

Mike :p

mikedurrant said:
I already have a heater in my 3 gallon tank, it is really small!!!
What is the brand/model? I would love to see if I can find something for my ¾ gal nano.

What else would I need to buy, at the moment I have an air-powered bottom filter packed with activated carbon and poly wool, would this need to go or could the filter media just be replaced?
If by this you mean UGF (?) I would remove it. LR and LS would be the best option with possibley a small HOB for carbon or other media. It will help cut down on the water changes.

Think I would go for a fish only setup, would this remove some of the lighting problems?
3 gal tank = no fish

What kind of small fish would it be possible to keep?
None

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
mikedurrant said:
I already have a heater in my 3 gallon tank, it is really small!!!
What is the brand/model? I would love to see if I can find something for my ¾ gal nano.

It is an Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm, 25 watt heater, it's probably about 20cm high at a guess, hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply, think it would be stupid of me to set up the tank for SW without any experience and I'd probably end up killing everything :( . Maybe I'll convert the 18Gallon some time in the future :? . Think I'll convert the 3 gallon tank to a FW red-crab tank with a beah or something :idea:

Thanks for all your replies,

Mike :p

mikedurrant said:
It is an Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm, 25 watt heater, it's probably about 20cm high at a guess, hope that helps.
The tank is 7.5x7.5x7.5cm cube tank so that won't work but thanks. FWIW, a 3 gal would be fine for an invert only tank. I have a 5 gal mini bowfront that I recently set up. It uses a mogul type PC light and will only house small sessile and mobile inverts... just a thought

Cheers
Steve

No, is a pink cauliflower colt Alcyonium Linnaeus

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom