Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2004, 08:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

3 or 3 feet Sea fish & reef setup

Dear expect,

I am had 3 months experience for 2 feets sea fish & reef,

Now I am interest to upgrade to 3 or 4 feet aquariums. Since all parts of 2 feets part are mini and simple. so I do not take it for my setup for 3-4 feets.

Could you please let me know what parts I had to uses it on 3-4 feets aquarium for sea fish and reef?

Thank you very much.

- Andersen

Old 09-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
steve-s

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

If I understand your question correctly, you want to use the equipment and such from the two smaller set ups and transer that to the larger set up?

That should be fine depending on what you have. The only thing to be cautious of is a DSB but at 3 months should not really be a concern yet. Depending on the style of tank (FO, FOWLR or reef) you may need an upgrade in lighting and possible some additional water flow/filtration.

If you can give some additional details about what you are trying to accomplish and what you already have it would help answer your question more accurately.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 AM   #3

Hi Steve,

Thanks for answering my question.

Hmm. I am apologize my broken English, I try to made it simple,

How to setup a 3 or 4 feet aquarium for
- marine fish, live rock & reef
- square tank, 3 view on 2 big 1 small (another small for water flow face to wall) I wish to made a partition at my living room. I do not really know how to explain clear, I had draw out a simple graph as my attachment. "tank.jpg" A,B,C is for view, D is for water flow & back ground.
- Sump. Material, step by step

or so on....

I mean like new setup, not for tranfer.

P/s: English is my 7th languages in my life, I hope reader could understand my broken English

Currently : Having the 2 feet Aquarium tank for Reef setup.

Soon : On the way for setup L=72" X W=24" X H= 30" Aquarium for Reef. -_-" very costly...
andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:06 AM   #4

Opsss sorry, I don't know the attachment had in, because I show nothing list for the first attachment, so I re-attach again. sorry,

MOD, please help me delete for last two picture.

thanks

P/s: English is my 7th languages in my life, I hope reader could understand my broken English

Soon : On the way for setup L=72" X W=24" X H= 30" Aquarium for Reef. -_-" very costly...
Old 09-24-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
steve-s

Not sure how you have your first two tanks set up but aside from the plumbing, this one will be much of the same.

Your main issue will be how you decide to get water to and from the sump. Either by drilling panel D to include built in overflow(s) or by using a HOB overflow. Drilling would be the easiest route. Next you need to decide where the returns from the sump will be. Since you want clear viewing room on the other three sides the only issue there will be "eye appeal". You can have the returns on the same side as the overflow but I don't think that would be ideal. It would push organics away from the overflow keeping them in the tank unless the type of built in overflow had the return slot (tunnel slot) at the bottom as well as the top. That would only be a concern if you where to use a skimmer or refugium. The opposite end of the tank would definately need powerheads though.

Two alternative options would be to carefully plumb returns near the top corners of panel C but far enough away from the seam to keep from cracking or weekening the seams. That might not be very eye appealing though. You could also extend the returns from panel D with piping along the top inside edges of panels A & B so they reach panel C and then use a "U" joint to direct water flow back to the overflow. This would require a much larger pump due to head pressure and distance though.

As for the rest of the set up it really depends on what's available to you and what types of corals and such you wish to keep.

There are quite a few "plumbing Guru's" (of which I am not) on the site that should have better answer, hopefully one of them will chime in.

Can you describe you describe one of your current tanks equipment so we can get a better idea of whats available to you?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-24-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Have your read any books yet? Robert Fenner's, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a good start. It or other books may help you decide what you want to live in your tank so you can plan your equipment and material purchases better.

You don't want to buy equipment just to get started, then realize later you can't get that fish or coral you want without replacing the equipment you already got. You got to know where you're going in order to get there in my opinion. 8)

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Oh Andersen! I was so focused on my response, I forgot the most important thing to do....

Welcome to AA!!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #8

Thanks for reply again!

Quote:
austinsdad wrote,
Oh Andersen! I was so focused on my response, I forgot the most important thing to do....

Welcome to AA!!!
Thanks, I wish I will support to be here more often.

Quote:
austinsdad wrote,
Have your read any books yet? Robert Fenner's, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a good start. It or other books may help you decide what you want to live in your tank so you can plan your equipment and material purchases better.

You don't want to buy equipment just to get started, then realize later you can't get that fish or coral you want without replacing the equipment you already got. You got to know where you're going in order to get there in my opinion.
I didn't read the book you had statues. But I do read a lot of Chinese guide book, but all equipment they list is Chinese name, But I need English name, because When I reach Aquarium shop, it list in English name.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

P/s: I had attach my 2 feet mini salt aquarium. every equipment is mini and total different setup for 3-4 feet tank, that is why I am asking detail. I had attachment my sample setup. There have the light on top, just I didn't draw it in.

---------

I am agree your comment, I should have my 3 or 4 feet aquarium for D & C panel for water flow... Hmm for life time this should best maintance, but for view it will not so nice... Hmm.. I think I had to sketch out again with new setup for it.

I will locate the Sump below the aquarium. and also the mini 1/3 hp Chiller.

Do you have any web site for step by step setup sample for 3-4 feet tank?

Could you please list out the English title for all equipment? I really don't know the English name.

What inside have?
- Sump
- Filter (do this in the sump also?)
- Skimmer (do this same as my 2 feet setup?)
- Chiller (1/3 hp is enough? or any comment?)
- UV light, do this need? where should I put?
- O3 box (electric) I show this in magazine, do this need?

I am really new to 3-4 feet aquarium setup. I am not familiar with it.

Anywhere, I am confident my experience on test KH, CA, NO and blah blah blah. Just I am confusing on equipment.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2004, 11:41 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersen
Do you have any web site for step by step setup sample for 3-4 feet tank? Could you please list out the English title for all equipment? I really don't know the English name.
Best site I can think of that would answer both these questions is >>WetWebMedia<<. Alot of the info on that site should give you some very detailed ideas.

Quote:
What inside have?
- Sump
- Filter (do this in the sump also?)
A sump is definately a plus but you do not need mechanical filtration. A good amount of LR (½-2 lbs/gal) in the display tank along with 1-2" of a good aragonite oolitic sand will work quite well.

Quote:
- Skimmer (do this same as my 2 feet setup?)
No you would not need to rely on a hang on skimmer with the sump. You could get and in-sump or in-line to the sump skimmer that could hide it. In sump model seem to work best. For a 75-90 gal tank I would recommend an >>EV-180 Aqua C<< or similar.

Quote:
I would hold off on this until your sure it's needed. Based on your ambient room temp and whatever lighting you choose, it might never be needed.

Quote:
I wouldn't bother with either of these options. Both offer a small amount of protection that can be quite costly. I would instead you read up on proper >>quarantine<< procedures for all new fish.

Quote:
Actually maintaining a larger tank is much easier than a smaller one so if you have been successful so far, you shouldn't have much trouble at all.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-25-2004, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
I would hold off on this until your sure it's needed. Based on your ambient room temp and whatever lighting you choose, it might never be needed.

I think I really need this, reason my country are somewhere around in Asia, 365 days 33-38C some time rain.

ok below is my recent 2 feets tank result
Without fan
morning to afternoon/everning about 27-28-29C
night will about 26-27-28C

With fan
morning to afternoon/everning about 26+ - 28+C
night will about 25.8 - 26+C

I think I will made myself a mini chiller by modify "110 Watt Thermoelectric Peltier Cooler" into the sump.

Quote:
I wouldn't bother with either of these options. Both offer a small amount of protection that can be quite costly. I would instead you read up on proper >>quarantine<< procedures for all new fish.

I donut know why this happen to me, this three months, I got only problem on nitrate (NO3) test, it always on "red" color result, and I change water every week for about 30-50% still get "red" color result for NO3 test.

I ask the marine seller, they said maybe I had feed my marine too much. but I feed only once a day...

My lighting switch on for 10 hours per day. I donut think this is the problem.

- purple light for 2 hours first on and before off.
- bright light, 8 hours between the 2 hours of purple light.

Do I really need the NO3 machine? or do you have any better idea for this?

Quote:
Actually maintaining a larger tank is much easier than a smaller one so if you have been successful so far, you shouldn't have much trouble at all.

I hope so

And below is my first sketch for my 3-4 feets tank, how you think? it that still ok?

I like the con setup, reason it look nice, but I feel it will easy break, maybe I need to fix two bracket to each con.

Tags
reef, sea, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com