Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

3 questions about filters / wet dry

• How often do I replace / rinse out the tan sponge?? The PVC on top of it is the output of my protein skimmer. Currently I am rinsing this sponge once a week (in PWC). Do I need to ever replace it?
  • The blue / White sponge right below the 2 drains.... same question, how often should I replace / rinse? Currently rinsing it once a week in PWC
  • The sand on the bottom of my wet dry.... do I need to do something with this? Geez, is it even sand???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03523.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	20914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03524.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	20915  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03525.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	20916   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03526.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	20917  

Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sponges can be a pain in the butt. If I were you I would remove the sponge below the output of your skimmer. It might clog or stop water from returning to your tank and cause an overflow. The other sponge I would clean once a week. As far as the Wet/Dry, if you are keeping fish only that would be okay. If you plan to keep corals then they are old school and I would remove them slowly from your system...a layer or two at a time until they are all gone. Your skimmer is your main flilter in a coral or reef setup.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought the rock was? And a skimmer just helps with leftover proteins. If you dont have rock or bacteria locations the fishies die. Am i right?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do have some corals... but not alot. Are you saying take out my BIO balls one layer at a time? So the only thing in my wet/dry would be the skimmer?? I do have about 100Lb's of LR in the tank.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, do it slowly so as not to stress your LR and give it time to buildup it's good bacteria. After the final bio-balls are removed fill that space with LR rubble at least half way. the reason for this removal is that bio-balls if not cleaned religiously will become "Nitrate Factories".
Old 10-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
. After the final bio-balls are removed fill that space with LR rubble at least half way. the reason for this removal is that bio-balls if not cleaned religiously will become "Nitrate Factories".

Wow, i'm kind of taken by surprise at this. I knew that BIO Balls get a lot of opinions regarding "nitrate factories" and preferences for their use. However before I set up this tank many people recommended them for my current set up.....

Is it your "opinion" that they will hurt me in the long run or is this a fact and something I definitely need to jump on and fix ASAP?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as you keep a fish only tank with LR bioballs are not a real problem. When you get into corals then nitrate becomes a bigger deal and yes it is a proven fact. I removed my bioballs and sponges and set up a Deep sandbed and my tank is heading towards the 2 year mark with 0 nitrates.
I also run about a half dozen mangrove plants in my sump.

Tags
dry, filter, filters, wet, wet dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com