Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2003, 06:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks guys and gals
i will not get a new set up as you sugest. but i did empty my tank water! because at my local fish store they told me to put copper in my tank and i know now i will play hack getting it out. so i will clean my tank and get rid of my painted rock and get fresh sand. not crushed coral. any insight on that ? do you think that is better. and how much sand would i need for a 55 gallon? 6 inchs
also how much live rock should i buy?
thanks
michael

Old 10-01-2003, 06:44 PM   #12

To get a 6" depth of sand, you will need approx 220 lbs
For LR I would suggest no less that 65 lbs
IMO You should not consider CC at all.

Do not use anything at all porous out of the tank in the new setup. Copper will still be resident in it and leech out over time... I would also fill up the tank and clean it out with a mild bleach solution to kill anything that might be lingering... Then rinse it extremely well.

Good luck to you...
Old 10-01-2003, 07:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't think that doing a fresh water dip would be very good for a fish that is already freakin out from being netted,put in a bag and taken to your home. I would think that netting it again, dunking it in FW and netting it once again to put it in your tank will stress the fish out to no end! Im not knocking fresh water dipping, I have had success with it, but I think the fish is just already too stressed to do this. I think the best solutiuon would be to just QT. When you think about how much money you are spending on your tank and fish, it just makes sense
Old 10-02-2003, 12:06 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
To get a 6" depth of sand, you will need approx 220 lbs
For LR I would suggest no less that 65 lbs
IMO You should not consider CC at all.
dont understand?
i will need 220 pound of sand and no less than 65 pounds of live rock?
also why would i need 220 pounds for LR?
is 6 inchs depth for sand good or would it matter if i only put 20 pounds of sand in my tank about 1 inch?
thanks
michael
Old 10-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Tim is suggesing you go with a DSB insead of a shallow sand bed. The DSB has greater filtration capacity than a shallow bed. The shallow bed really wont do much for your tank other than visual and ammonia removal.

Its suggested a DSB be no shallower than 3" and 4"+ is recommended. Also if you want to use live rock as a filtration methiod then you would need at least 1lb per gal with 1.5lbs per gal being a more optimal amount.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 07:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok i will go with a deep sand bed. thanks now what type of filter is best for a reef tank or a fish only i want to keep my opinions open for in the future?
i am buying pacific black sand for my set up! now should i make the whole bottom thats sand or could i use play sand to fill it up some so i dont have to pay as much for that sand? i plan to buy 85 pounds or live rock also if that does any thing for filtration wise?
after this what do i do next(step wise)
thanks michael
Old 10-04-2003, 11:22 AM   #17

You could add the play sand, that will give it the salt and pepper look...

85 lbs of LR will give you pretty much all of the filtration you need....
Old 10-05-2003, 04:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

so if i have 90 pounds of live rock and about 60 pounds of pacific black sand i will not need a filter just my protine skimmer or should i keep it running for extra filtration?
what do you think of wet dry filters are they worth the money?
and are they better for a reef set up?
lights what type of lighting do you suggest for a 55 gallon reef system?
thanks
michael

Tags
led, salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com