30 Gallon Hex tank Filter setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masterplan75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just inherited a 30gallon hexagon tank and i was wondering if this would be ok to made into a saltwater tank for small critters ie watchman goby or shrimps, crabs i guess similar to a nano cube type set up? also how should / would i set up a filtertration setup?

thanks for all the help!! AA has been so nice to me and i greatly appreciate it!!!

Lance

you can use any type of tank you want. if you like a hex tank, then you are good to go. will you ever be adding corals to this tank? if so, consider the trouble of finding a light fixture that will fit it, and be pleasing to the eye.

as for filtration, as long as you keep the bio load low, you can rely on live rock and water changes.

The only thing I`ve heard about hex tanks is the lighting problem that was already mentioned and flow problems because of the type tank. Just what I`ve heard.

I've also heard they are harder to keep a decent pH due to the lack of surface area. Remember, pH stability is the key.

when asking around at a couple of local fish stores they had mentioned a hob filtration system with a small power head. which in turn wont allow me to try and build the tank for seahoreses or something with no to low current =\

i had thoughts about putting in soft corals like xenia, zoas or similar... in which i saw a lot of metal halide lamps with clips that could work for lighting?

maybe a few tiny fish like clowns or watchmans goby's..

all of these are ideas since i'm newly addicted to saltwater tanks and since i'm gonna inherit a free tank i figured i'd work on a new project =).

a clip on halide will work for more than xenia and zoos,depending on the wattage you choose, but as for the hang on filtration, you'll need more flow than it will produce. you might try to figure a way to place a powerhead lower in the tank to provide flow towards the bottom, and still be pleasing to the eye.

honestly, the hang on filter would most likely be fine for seahorses. seahorses are not an animal that i would suggest for a beginner. they require special care.

The only problem I see with the Hex tank is the flow. You are going to end up with a circular flow. The water will go round and round in the tank. I guess that may not be all bad but random flow is much better. I'm sure it can be done with your tank you will just have to plan things out. There is a great article in Marine Fish and Reef (volume 10 2008) that talks about hiding PHs in PVC structure. If you happen to get by a pet store or boarders pick it up and read through that article.

Back
Top Bottom