Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma
the est filter media wont work if its from a fw tank
and the evaporation is with all tanks, and even beyond that , its just physics that any body of water exposed to some sort of heat or humidity will lose water to evaporation.
sw is just like fw in terms of pwc's, some people do them every week, some do it every 2 weeks...some even longer. that is strictly based on the needs and circumstances for each tank
Oh pooey. Guess I'll ask the LFS for some then. Just a question...why doesn't it work?

If it's just a pair of ocellaris clowns and bottom dweller along with inverts and corals do you think I'll be able to get away with water changes once a week?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bacti are different from FW to SW

Try this site use it as a guide line as every tank is different AqAdvisor - Intelligent Saltwater Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bacti are different from FW to SW Your NitrAtes will guide your PWC's the higher they get the sooner you'll need a PWC

Try this site use it as a guide line as every tank is different AqAdvisor - Intelligent Saltwater Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

youll more than likely do pwc's more frequently as the tanks new, once it gets a mature establishment, youll be able to slow down on pwc's and as grizz mentioned, the bacteria are different. if you take the fw media and place it in the sw tank, itll kill off the bcteria becuase they are not able to survive the sw
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma
youll more than likely do pwc's more frequently as the tanks new, once it gets a mature establishment, youll be able to slow down on pwc's and as grizz mentioned, the bacteria are different. if you take the fw media and place it in the sw tank, itll kill off the bcteria becuase they are not able to survive the sw
Ah okay. Will PWC every day when it's cycling and when I add the first new fish be fine?

Do you think I should ask the LFS for some seeded media???
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd just wait out the cycle that way at least you know your not getting anything bad!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjpendrey
I'd just wait out the cycle that way at least you know your not getting anything bad!
Okay! I'm probably starting in a week or two and let it cycle during school. Keep you guys updated!

Btw what did people think about the corals I chose out? Can anyone answer my anemone question? Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997

Okay! I'm probably starting in a week or two and let it cycle during school. Keep you guys updated!

Btw what did people think about the corals I chose out? Can anyone answer my anemone question? Thanks
I have a sebae anemone with my pair of maroon clowns hosting it and everythings been fine. My tank had nay been setup for a month before I got it. It's been a month and a half since I put him in. My lighting is not even the best but it hasn't bleached or anything. I think the reason why people say they are hard to keep is because they can move around and sting your other coral, and if they die and you don't catch it, everything in your tank dies.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb

I have a sebae anemone with my pair of maroon clowns hosting it and everythings been fine. My tank had nay been setup for a month before I got it. It's been a month and a half since I put him in. My lighting is not even the best but it hasn't bleached or anything. I think the reason why people say they are hard to keep is because they can move around and sting your other coral, and if they die and you don't catch it, everything in your tank dies.
Anemones move??? I thought they just stayed in place. They sting coral with their tentacles or something??? Why does everything die if it dies?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997

Anemones move??? I thought they just stayed in place. They sting coral with their tentacles or something??? Why does everything die if it dies?
Yeah, anemones move until they find a spot they like. After that they move if they want to go somewhere different. Mine has stayed put whereever I put him though. And yeah they sting coral with their tentacles and can kill them. And they release massive amounts of ammonia when they die.

Tags
30 gallon, beginner, clowns, corals, lighting, low-tech, saltwater, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com