Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb

Yeah, anemones move until they find a spot they like. After that they move if they want to go somewhere different. Mine has stayed put whereever I put him though. And yeah they sting coral with their tentacles and can kill them. And they release massive amounts of ammonia when they die.
Mmmmmm....maybe I should wait until the tank is established? Or can I add it I'm first and then the clowns?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would add it first just so it can choose a place to it's liking, and then you won't have to worry about your other coral.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I would add it first just so it can choose a place to it's liking, and then you won't have to worry about your other coral.
Ah okay. Should I add the coral before or after the anemone? What type is commonly available and under 50$ that you would recommend? I am not ready for a really sensitive anemone yet...oh and would they hurt other fish? I know they don't hurt clowns but what about the others
Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997

Ah okay. Should I add the coral before or after the anemone? What type is commonly available and under 50$ that you would recommend? I am not ready for a really sensitive anemone yet...oh and would they hurt other fish? I know they don't hurt clowns but what about the others
My other fish don't really get near it so idk. The type of anemone to get really depends on your clowns. I got a sebae anemone and it's been really easy taking care of him. Another one might be a bubble tipped anemone which are nice. As far as adding coral, you can add coral before, but just be prepared to move them if your anemone gets too close.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

My other fish don't really get near it so idk. The type of anemone to get really depends on your clowns. I got a sebae anemone and it's been really easy taking care of him. Another one might be a bubble tipped anemone which are nice. As far as adding coral, you can add coral before, but just be prepared to move them if your anemone gets too close.
Okay. I'm getting ocellaris clowns, what anemone would you suggest? I think I'll add the zoas mushrooms and leathers after it settles down.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997

Okay. I'm getting ocellaris clowns, what anemone would you suggest? I think I'll add the zoas mushrooms and leathers after it settles down.
You can do bubble tip anemone, or carpet anemone. There is a chance however that it may not host it. My maroons seemed like they would never host my sebae, but one night I found the male playing around in it and then 2 days later the female went inside too. It's really a hit or miss.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There is no guarantee that a clown will host ANY anenome, it's hit or miss.

I would strongly suggest NOT getting an anenome first thing. They require an established tank, pristine water and high lighting.

I bought an anenome early on and ended up returning it, too much worry that it would sting my corals and eat my fish, which it can do.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
There is no guarantee that a clown will host ANY anenome, it's hit or miss.

I would strongly suggest NOT getting an anenome first thing. They require an established tank, pristine water and high lighting.

I bought an anenome early on and ended up returning it, too much worry that it would sting my corals and eat my fish, which it can do.
It can eat your fish? Whoa didn't know that! Maybe I'll skip it. Is there a possible alternative to an anemone?

Are candy cane corals fine in low to medium light setups?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well clowns will host many things, so anything that looks like an anemone can be a host to it. They will even host mushrooms and rocks lol.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Clowns are also just as likely to host a flowy looking coral as they are an anenome. Mine hosted my elegance coral, BUT while it was cool to see they almost killed the coral. :-(

Candycanes are a medium light coral I believe and moderate flow.

Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Trumpet Coral

Tags
30 gallon, beginner, clowns, corals, lighting, low-tech, saltwater, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com