Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
Well clowns will host many things, so anything that looks like an anemone can be a host to it. They will even host mushrooms and rocks lol.
Rocks? Maybe I should just build some sort of ornament for them to host.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Clowns are also just as likely to host a flowy looking coral as they are an anenome. Mine hosted my elegance coral, BUT while it was cool to see they almost killed the coral. :-(

Candycanes are a medium light coral I believe and moderate flow.

Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Trumpet Coral
They almost killed the coral! Wow this is lots more complicated than I used to think it'd be. Will check out the link when I get home, my phone is retarded and is not showing it!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, the clowns rub against whatever they are hosting so they can injure the coral or themselves if there are sharp edges to the coral, like on the base.

I ended up having to give away my beautiful aussie elegance to save it....
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah, the clowns rub against whatever they are hosting so they can injure the coral or themselves if there are sharp edges to the coral, like on the base.

I ended up having to give away my beautiful aussie elegance to save it....
Aye! Well I will just have to see how it goes then. Hope the clowns and coral get along...

Also how do you add a coral to the tank? Do you put it in the substrate like you would a plant?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Most corals can be placed where you want as long as it's appropriate ie: lighting & flow. I have my favites brain corals on the substrate and my mushrooms as well. I have my candycanes mid tank level just sitting on a rock.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Most corals can be placed where you want as long as it's appropriate ie: lighting & flow. I have my favites brain corals on the substrate and my mushrooms as well. I have my candycanes mid tank level just sitting on a rock.
What does lighting and flow mean? Do they root onto the rock? Sorry for asking these questions I'm just a total noob at this
Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lighting is just the light fixture you have. The zoomed one you mentioned should be go for low to medium light coral. The flow is the flow. You need power heads in the aquarium for flow.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Corals each have different requirements as far as lighting and flow.

Mushrooms don't like alot of light so i put mine on the bottom under an overhang kinda. SPS on the other hand need high light so I place them higher up in my tank.

Some corals can spread onto rock like zooas, I have several I had on frag plugs and they have overtaken the plug and are now growing onto the rock the plug was on.

So, no, I don't think they root per se, they are almost always moveable by you.

You can check out the requirements for many corals here:

Saltwater Reef Aquariums: Live Coral for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums
Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Corals each have different requirements as far as lighting and flow.

Mushrooms don't like alot of light so i put mine on the bottom under an overhang kinda. SPS on the other hand need high light so I place them higher up in my tank.

Some corals can spread onto rock like zooas, I have several I had on frag plugs and they have overtaken the plug and are now growing onto the rock the plug was on.

So, no, I don't think they root per se, they are almost always moveable by you.

You can check out the requirements for many corals here:

Saltwater Reef Aquariums: Live Coral for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums
Thank you Carey! I will check the link out. What are SPS? When you mean flow do you mean surface disruption or filter flow?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
The lighting is just the light fixture you have. The zoomed one you mentioned should be go for low to medium light coral. The flow is the flow. You need power heads in the aquarium for flow.
Oh okay nevermind the question about flow then. Are powerheads absolutely necessary? Is there any other way to make flow?

Tags
30 gallon, beginner, clowns, corals, lighting, low-tech, saltwater, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com