Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy1992 View Post
Yeah, I think I'd opt for a simple twin-tube florescent fixture for now, and maybe a couple weeks before I start introducing corals would be when I would get the T5? Oh well, that's a little while down the road.

Now, would the sump help out a little with maintaining water quality since there would be roughly 30% more water? And what kinds of equipment would I be looking for? I was thinking maybe x2 100 watt heaters (in case of failure, then I could at least have one good one) but that's about it. How would I use chemical media (carbon, zeo-carb, etc...) with a sump? And is there a way to use a water-polishing filter of some sort with that, too?
The sump volume does help with your parameters(more water=less fluctuation,temp,salinity,etc)but is a good place to put your 2x heaters,skimmer,filter,also a good place to fill with RO/DI and saltwater,I also put coral food in the return pump section for good circulation and not forgetting a place for your bad crabs.The skimmer size to get would be for a 60g+ and i hear octopus are good,I use a TMC(english)

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm actually thinking of fixing my own sump out of a 10 gallon I have just sitting around. (I hate to see empty tanks when I can put them to good use!)

So my next question is: do I run open top or with a versa-top? And do I use a top on the sump? What kind of lighting do I use on my sump? Could I just use a normal florescent fixture?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Using glass tops is not a good idea because it promotes poor gas echange at the surface causing low PH. Use something like eggcrate or netting.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy1992 View Post
I'm actually thinking of fixing my own sump out of a 10 gallon I have just sitting around. (I hate to see empty tanks when I can put them to good use!)

So my next question is: do I run open top or with a versa-top? And do I use a top on the sump? What kind of lighting do I use on my sump? Could I just use a normal florescent fixture?
No top on the tank or sump. And for the sump yes you can use normal florescent. And with the ten gallon as a sump there isn't much room after you put a skimmer in there. I am running a seaclear 20g sump and i had to use a HOB skimmer to save space but thats because I use the big section for a fuge.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

so i could just use egg-crate then, and cut out a hole where the light would shine through and to accommodate the lines for the sump, right? (to avoid lines and such.) as for the sump, do i really need a skimmer on that small of a tank? or i could just do 10% weekly changes? that way i'd have plenty of room in the sump.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

could i maybe do a small school of chromis, too? or remove the dwarf angel and do them instead? i was thinking 3-5...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Come on update us pics pics!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

haha, sorry, pictures right now would be boring...both tanks are sitting on the floor empty until i get my trombone fixed next week...3 year olds can make expensive things even more expensive when they find "toys". sorry. : / i still need to figure out my plumbing and such and all the equipment...i'm a very planned person.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think with you first fish list you are already overstocked so chromis are a bad idea. Plus I have never had luck with them. I tried twice and they picked eachother off one by one. First a group of 3 then 5.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I know I'd like 2 clowns, maybe the Australian Black ones, and I'd like to have the Purple Fire Goby and maybe a Neon Blue Goby, too. I really like how the Flame Dwarf Angels look, they're such pretty fish, but I've heard they're kinda finnicky eaters and I'm not sure they're coral safe, either. And on top of that, I'd just like to have some cleaners; shrimp, hermits, maybe a Chocolate Chip Star, snails, etc...I'm just not sure how many of each.

I'm planning on using 1/4 LR and 3/4 Lacerock (because it's sooo much cheaper and it's the same thing - stuff will eventually grow) so sometime in the future, after I get the tank established, I can add some SPS, mushrooms, and soft corals, like an anemone.

Does this sound acceptable?

Tags
30 gallon, mini, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com