Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

30 Gallon Mini-Reef

Oh, how many of us have gotten into trouble with mts? Well, I just happen to have a 30 long sitting around all empty and lonely, wishing to be filled with beautiful fish. I also have a 10 gallon that I can't get myself to leave, either. So how does a 30 long with a 10 gallon sump sound?

I recently wanted to do a saltwater tank, but it was a 28 bow front with a HOB filter; no sump, and I have a few questions.

Here's my "dream" list for stocking (at least in a smaller tank):
x2 Perculas <-- Either True or Black. One of each? That would be cool.
x1 Royal Gramma Basslet
x1 Goby <-- Either Purple Fire or Neon Blue maybe?
x1 Flame Dwarf Angel <-- Reef Safe?

Cleaners:
x? Cleaner Shrimp
x? Hermit Crabs
x? Turbo Snails
x? Starfish <-- Could I do a single Brittle Star in a 30 long?
x? Porcelain/Emerald Crabs

I've been told before a similar list would be okay for a 28, and I actually think it was identical, less the crabs. Any tips or ideas on stocking and if this would work?

Equipment:
I know I'd like to get a 36" T5 HO fixture and that I'd probably need fans for this, right? And I'd like to DIY a 6 LED Moonlighting system and run them on timers. Aside from that, I'd like to do a 10 gallon sump to hide all the equipment such as heaters, skimmers, etc...and that I'd need an overflow box and a pump with some tubes and hoses to get water from point a -> point b -> point c, but I'm not too familiar with saltwater equipment aside from that. (All my freshwater tanks had HOB filters, heaters, and florescent fixtures. Pretty simple...)

Does anyone have a similar setup on a smaller reef tank? Or maybe a tank that's larger, but proportionate to mine? All I really know is what fish I'd like and what fixture I'll be using.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I should probably also mention that I'd like to start off as FOWLR, but eventually add corals within a year or so, just so that they get added to a mature, established tank. What corals would be good? I like the Purple Tip Serbae anemone, but that's about it so far. Any suggestions for anything that would be easier for beginners?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Following
Green Star Polyps can survive almost anything zoanthids tend to be fairly easy. You would need a fan with the light. I have a 30 gallon and it is awesome but i dont have a sump so. The stoccking list sounds fine i have a flame angel and he seems to be scared of my corals lol
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But truly i think you really just need some glass or plastic super glue some diy then you have yourself a sump
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure about the flame angel with corals also water quality needs to be spot on with nems unless you go for the very hardy small waratah nems,theres a couple of photo's of them in my album.Also be careful with two different types of clowns,I would stick to one breed.You dont need to upgrade your lights until you go with corals,theres also a basic drawing of a sump setup in my album to give you an idea.I think you could get away without a skimmer with a tank that size as long as you do 10% pwc each week otherwise go with a skimmer rated at 60g upwards.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well i guess all fish are different so i guess with the flame and the corals it would be sort of a gamble
Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah,sometimes you get a good one sometimes not.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, I think I'd opt for a simple twin-tube florescent fixture for now, and maybe a couple weeks before I start introducing corals would be when I would get the T5? Oh well, that's a little while down the road.

Now, would the sump help out a little with maintaining water quality since there would be roughly 30% more water? And what kinds of equipment would I be looking for? I was thinking maybe x2 100 watt heaters (in case of failure, then I could at least have one good one) but that's about it. How would I use chemical media (carbon, zeo-carb, etc...) with a sump? And is there a way to use a water-polishing filter of some sort with that, too?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

David, I also noticed your picture has a refugium, which I'm not looking to do. I just want something simple that adds enough water to make it worth-while. Could I replace the LS in the refugium with a bunch of bioballs and maybe place some filter pads before it goes into that chamber?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy1992 View Post
David, I also noticed your picture has a refugium, which I'm not looking to do. I just want something simple that adds enough water to make it worth-while. Could I replace the LS in the refugium with a bunch of bioballs and maybe place some filter pads before it goes into that chamber?
You could but I would replace it with Live rock.But the chaeto which helps keep nitrates down hardly needs any work apart from a little trimming but it will need a light,where as live rock doesn't.Bio balls are a dertitus haven.I use a filter sock on my supply to the sump and a sponge filter in my overflow.

Tags
30 gallon, mini, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com