30 Gallon Newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Ingy. I've done my research but you've been here since 2012 and I just like to hear what others have to say

As for stock, I'm going to have two clowns and slowly add maybe another fish or two. And soft corals farther down the road.

Thanks, Ingy. I've done my research but you've been here since 2012 and I just like to hear what others have to say

As for stock, I'm going to have two clowns and slowly add maybe another fish or two. And soft corals farther down the road.

thats how i started, 2 caramel clowns, and i stil have the 2 and its been 2 months already lol im still trying to hoose my stock for the long run though. i hate to rehome fish.

for my 37g bow front tank, im running a topfin 75 dual valley high output filter, it gives me plenty of flow and i dont need powerheads right now due to the power this thing puts out :D

You need powerheads Tex you just havent been running long enough to understand the problems your lack of flow are going to cause you down the road. I highly suggest adding some ASAP to avoid issues later.

If its a standard 30 gallon then 20# of sand will work fine and your idea of 30# of live rock and 10-15 of dry is good but if you flip that and do only 10-15# live and the other 30# dry you can save money and it will still work out the same

You need powerheads Tex you just havent been running long enough to understand the problems your lack of flow are going to cause you down the road. I highly suggest adding some ASAP to avoid issues later.

If its a standard 30 gallon then 20# of sand will work fine and your idea of 30# of live rock and 10-15 of dry is good but if you flip that and do only 10-15# live and the other 30# dry you can save money and it will still work out the same

dang tim, your quick on the reply lol well, i still dont know how to place them in the tank and where to face them, suggestions?

Dont be afraid to run a dsb.. Ive had one in every various stage of my 125 and never had an issue. Theres also alot more planning that goes into a dab then most hobbyists put into it. The amount and type of groundborring inverts and fish have a big effect on the dsb. I run 3-4" (shallower and deeper depending on my gobys mood) and i can even move the sand in little bits. No problem

dang tim, your quick on the reply lol well, i still dont know how to place them in the tank and where to face them, suggestions?

I work at a computer 12 hours a day and constantly have Facebook and AA pulled up all day. Put them on the sides on opposing walls facing each other and adjust accordingly to ensure nothing gets trapped in the rocks or lands on the sand bed. If debris isnt staying in the water column to be filtered or skimmed then you need more flow or Adjust your existing flow.

Also DSB aren't worth the risk that they pose. Yes some people have had them successfull and some have had the with detrimental results. IMO I will never have a bare bottom or DSB tank. I emphasis I WILL NEVER HAVE ONE, you can do what ever you like best. Mine is 2" just to keep my horseshoe crab covered

I work at a computer 12 hours a day and constantly have Facebook and AA pulled up all day. Put them on the sides on opposing walls facing each other and adjust accordingly to ensure nothing gets trapped in the rocks or lands on the sand bed. If debris isnt staying in the water column to be filtered or skimmed then you need more flow or Adjust your existing flow.

well my flow rate already is pretty good, i can see the water ripple from my hob output hitting the front glass and dissipating sideways, and underwater as well, this thing has some horsepower, idk how or why but it does, maybe ill put em up top by the hob on the sides, facing down toward the intake but facing eachother..? i still have no idea what to do with them i guess ill wing it.

well my flow rate already is pretty good, i can see the water ripple from my hob output hitting the front glass and dissipating sideways, and underwater as well, this thing has some horsepower, idk how or why but it does, maybe ill put em up top by the hob on the sides, facing down toward the intake but facing eachother..? i still have no idea what to do with them i guess ill wing it.

Ok well for reference i have a 2400 GPH return pump with 4 1500 GPH powerheads. The HOB isnt enough flow. You need the filter pushing front to back and one powerhead blowing from left to right and another from right to left. you need minimum 10x water turn over in your tank (preferably 15-20x for FOWLR and 30-40x for reefs) and I know your pump isnt pushing the 370-700gph. that you need and the powerheads are to disperse the flow rather than just in one area. if you have dead spots you'll have nutrient issues and algae issues as well. I would throw a pair of hydor nano PHs in there rated for 300ish GPH

Ok well for reference i have a 2400 GPH return pump with 4 1500 GPH powerheads. The HOB isnt enough flow. You need the filter pushing front to back and one powerhead blowing from left to right and another from right to left. you need minimum 10x water turn over in your tank (preferably 15-20x for FOWLR and 30-40x for reefs) and I know your pump isnt pushing the 370-700gph. that you need and the powerheads are to disperse the flow rather than just in one area. if you have dead spots you'll have nutrient issues and algae issues as well. I would throw a pair of hydor nano PHs in there rated for 300ish GPH

i do plan on that i plan to throw in a pair of hydor koralia 425's pointed left to right and right to left and slightly down so their flow can collide and disperse?

i do plan on that i plan to throw in a pair of hydor koralia 425's pointed left to right and right to left and slightly down so their flow can collide and disperse?

I would go for more of an upward angle rather than pushing food and waste into the sand. An upward flow will keep everything suspended longer and let your filter do its job.

Alright guys, I got everything setup and running!

I'm going to start a new thread in the saltwater forum on my progress.

Back
Top Bottom