Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking about doing a deep sand bed.. I like to keep my tanks as natural as possible. Is 40 pounds still too much?

I was also thinking about doing 30 pounds of live and 10-15 of dry and let it become alive. Does that sound alright?

Thanks for the gph ratings, I'll pick those up today and get the tank setup tonight.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you mean a real Deep Sand Bed, or just a deeper than normal sand bed. There is an inherrant danger running a DSB by the uninformed.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want an undisturbed, bacteria, micro/macro filled sand bed to help process my nitrates into good old nitrogen.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luch then. Watch out for H2S gas.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

You don't sound too confident, Ingy. Let me know what you're thinking. You've obviously been doing this longer than I have- I'm here to learn.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
1. As long as its slightly oversized, yes a hob will work.
x2 on this, a hob filter works just fine, ive been running for 2mo now with just a hob and my tanks happy and healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpants94 View Post
For a tank like my 30 gallon, how much flow do you think I am looking for? I'm getting the powerheads along with salt, sand and rock after class tonight.
for my 37g bow front tank, im running a topfin 75 dual valley high output filter, it gives me plenty of flow and i dont need powerheads right now due to the power this thing puts out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
I think 40 pounds of sand is going to be a little much for a 30 gallon. You only want about 1.5-2 inches of sandbed so 20# should be plenty use the extra money and add some more rock. i do 1.5 pounds per gallon as a rule of thumb. Sand needs to be a larger grain not sugar sand. I made that mistake and it just blew all over the tank and i wound up changing it anyway. I use the hydor controller with 4 hydor 1500s in my 210. I dont like more than about 15-20x turnover in my tanks. I would grab two power heads rated at about 400ish GPH to start with you can always add more. Your HOB filter needs to be rated for at least 50-75 gallons on a 30 gallon SW tank. There is a lot that goes into planning a tank and you dont want to do something to save money in this stage of the setup. It will likely bite you later down the road.
i would go with the caribsea arrag-alive 20lb bag of live sand, its a nice grain size and not to much "cloud" when mixed up, mine cleared up within 2hrs of startup with just my hob filter, and as for as powerheads i think a pair of koralia nano 425's would be good, thats what ill be going with for my 37g at least, and as for as rock 1.5lbs/gal is a good ratio i have about 40lbs of live rock in my 37g tank and i still want more rockwork.

what stock are you looking at?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The amount of sand to buy is entirely dependant on the footprint of the tank. I have 20lbs of sand in my 20g reef but its a 20 tall. That gives me just about a perfect depth for my sand bed. If it was a 20long I would need more.

I would shoot for a little over 1" depth and avoid a dsb. Nowadays a dsb is more of a problem than its worth imho.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The amount of sand to buy is entirely dependant on the footprint of the tank. I have 20lbs of sand in my 20g reef but its a 20 tall. That gives me just about a perfect depth for my sand bed. If it was a 20long I would need more.

I would shoot for a little over 1" depth and avoid a dsb. Nowadays a dsb is more of a problem than its worth imho.
i used about 40lbs of live sand in my 37gbf and it gave me about a 2" sand bed, good for my goby to burrow through in the future lol
Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You seem aware. The big risk in a true DSB is the anaerobic bacteria you seek WILL consume nitrates and produce hydrogen gas. But, they may also produce Hydrogen Sulfide gas if there is any sulphur present (there will be minute amounts). H2S gas is a toxic nerve gas often found in minig and Kraft pulp mills. To humans it can kill when the levels get high enough, but if you can smell it, you won't die (the first nerves it attacks are those giving the sense of smell. However, even at the stinky levels, it may be strong enough to kill fish. That's the threat.

But, you mentioned undesturbed DSB, which is good. NEVER vacuum a DSB as that can release the H2S gas that has been created. Over the long run, bacteria will also consume it (releasing Hydrogen and sulfur or oxygenated sulfate), eliminating the risk of a leathal buildup over time.

If you can smell rotten eggs in the tank after disturbing the DSB, H2S has been released. Massive water changed is immediately required.

On the plus side, you won't need to put a ball of chaeto in your sump.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
You seem aware. The big risk in a true DSB is the anaerobic bacteria you seek WILL consume nitrates and produce hydrogen gas. But, they may also produce Hydrogen Sulfide gas if there is any sulphur present (there will be minute amounts). H2S gas is a toxic nerve gas often found in minig and Kraft pulp mills. To humans it can kill when the levels get high enough, but if you can smell it, you won't die (the first nerves it attacks are those giving the sense of smell. However, even at the stinky levels, it may be strong enough to kill fish. That's the threat.

But, you mentioned undesturbed DSB, which is good. NEVER vacuum a DSB as that can release the H2S gas that has been created. Over the long run, bacteria will also consume it (releasing Hydrogen and sulfur or oxygenated sulfate), eliminating the risk of a leathal buildup over time.

If you can smell rotten eggs in the tank after disturbing the DSB, H2S has been released. Massive water changed is immediately required.

On the plus side, you won't need to put a ball of chaeto in your sump.
Exactly what I mean by more of a problem than its worth I try to avoid anything that could kill everything in my tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com