Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
30 gallon Set-up

I am new to Aquarium Advice, My name is Michael and I have been in the hobby for about 9 years. My experience thus far is only with FO and a basic setup
55g long
XP2 filter
Backpack skimmer
150watt heater
96x4 PC light

I have successfully kept all types of fish most none aggressive fish that I have found like clowns, walruses’, tangs, things of that nature. In a nut shell I feel I am ready to get a little more advance into the trade and want to start a 30g Reef and would like you guys to help guide me and suggest ideas I can try and or steer clear of such as equipment that may be junk, and any idea that you know might not work too well.

Well I guess to get started you need to know my ideas and plan so here goes.

Equipment I have…
30g oceanic aquarium
150 watt HQI lighting I think about 15,000k
25watt UV light from lifeguard
Hang-on back refuge from CPR
CPR Bac-Pac Skimmer (I don’t like)
2 maxi jet 900 power heads
Refractor for measuring the Sg.

I also have available to me about 20 or 30 lbs of live rock from a buddy of mine but its in bad shape and need cleaned.

I just moved into a new place so I have plenty of room for other equipment I may need. I don’t have a RODI unit but want to buy one if some one can suggest a few good ones. I also want to set up a refuge. I have a 20 gallon long aquarium that I want to divide into sections to suit any equipment that I may need. May I also mention I want to drill the back of my 30gallon to handle 2- 1/2 “ returns and 1-1inch intake. I only say 1inch because I don’t know how much a ¾” intake will handle. I know there’s a ratio you want to turn the tank over I believe it was like 10 times or something like that. Any suggestion on that topic would be greatly helpful. I can provide pics and up to date information on my new set=up as I go.

So what you guys think any thing I might be missing? Ideas or Questions?

I want to buy a new skimmer and RODI unit this week so any suggestion would be great.

--Michael-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
What kind of an overflow system are you planning (horizontal, external, full inside box, etc.)? I would use 2 50w heaters on a Ranco/Aqualogic controller. As for hob skimmers: Octopus/Extreme, AquaC, and Turbofloater (regular hob). If you are able to create room in your sump you can try: Tunze Nano. For a rodi I'd go with Spectrapure.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
can you explain the difference between the types of overflow systems? as for skimmers i was going to buy the EV 120 in sump w/ the mag5 pump and JG fitting. i will look up the spectrapure unit.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
The EV is far too big for a 30g. Even the Remora Pro is a bit oversized, but it seems to function better than the regular Remora.

I think you would be better off actually looking at pictures than reading an explanation of overflows. I would perform a search online for horizontal overflow and external overflow since I have a feeling one of the two might appeal to you and your designs.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
LOL well, i jut purchased the EV120 and a kent marine 4-stage ro/di along with 2 1/2 inch bulkheads and 1-1 inch bulkhead.O and i almost forgot i got my 20G long for my sump/refuge, so i should be able to hold about 50g of water. Now, i just need to find the diamond bits to cut my holes. i am going to upgrade some time in the future to a much larger tank if this one goes well. i know i have space for a 150 but i dont want to sink that kinda money into something if its not going to work out. so now i have 2 pieces of equipment that be more then enough for a larger tank. my buddy said i can pick up the LR if i help him clean out his tank. So i will have about 20lbs of LR when i need it. I also plan to buy some more from a local fish store maybe blue ribbon Koi.

30 gallon, set-up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com