Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to firerescue2002
30 Gallon Tank CLOWNS?

I have a 30 gallon tank set up with 15lbs. figi live rock, 35lbs. of "live sand" and 3 yellowtail damsel fish. I am running the tank with a penguin 400 over the back filter. There is no protein skimmer in my system I was told it was not needed for a small system. My lighting situation is a 24" twin tube flouresant light fixture with just regular aquarium lights. I want to put a host anenome in this tank with preferably one or two Maroon Gold Stripe Clown (Premnas biocelatus). Is this tank large enough for two clowns and an anenome. If so what is a good beginer host anenome for maroon clowns? Is my lighting going to support an anenome? What changes do I need to make to the tank? This tank has been established for 1.5yrs. with the same damselfish with no problems (knock on wood). My damselfish will be moved to a recently set up 55 gallon aquarium to start the nutrient cycles.

Old 01-28-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
The tank volume is fine for 2 clowns and an anemone. The lighting however is not. Most anemones require high lighting, you would need to upgrade to PC or MH lighting. Also, most anemones don't live long in captivity but can live in the wild for ages. For this reason I would recommend against the anemone, especially for younger tanks and lesser experienced hobbyists. Most anemones that my LFS gets in sit in the tanks and whither and die. Forget the anemone, the clowns will do fine without it. Look into getting some other cnidarian that the clowns will host in. I find clowns to be just as interesting without the anemone.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

agreed for the most part. However, if you are going to get two maroons, i highly suggest finding a mated pair. They are pretty aggressive and if introduced together not already a mated pair, one will most likely kill the other in that size of a tank.

Also, i suggest not using the damsels to start the cycle in the new 55 gal. Go to the articles section of this site and read the article on how to cycle a tank without the use of fish. or just click Here
Old 01-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Where can you find mated moroons? And will I have to watch out for fry or is it hard to actually get them to breed without wanting them to. Thanks, for the help guys...
Old 01-30-2004, 12:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Things forgot to mention or ask.... If I go with a PC do I want 2 day bulbs or 1 actinic and 1 day bulb? And will this PC be efficiant for small corals IE: brain, bubble, star, or rose corals? I would eventually like corals when I feel comfortable with them and have some experience. How many small corals could you put in a 30 gal. tank? I realize they do compete and that certain corals do not mix well. I'm just unshure which ones they are. Also thanks for the fishless cycling procedure. I don't want to loose my damsels.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
steve-s

On a 30 gal you would be fine with a 2x65 w PC for most soft and LPS corals. One white and one true actinic. Works great for my 27. As you said, different corals do not mix well and consideration must be given to those that are more aggressive. As long as you can provide a good 6" around each one, you should be fine but again that depends on type. Some need more, some need less. Posting a wish list when your tank is ready and after researching the needs of each might be an idea.

For the maroons, if you can find two that are still quite small, about 1-1¬Ĺ"; they will have a decent chance of becoming a mated pair and reduce the risk of buying larger fish that most likely will have altered sex by then. Unless you intend on raising the young, they will not be a concern. Might not sound nice but the fact of them surviving is quite low unless a proper rearing tank is set up just for them and the hatchlings transered as soon as they leave the egg sack. Most will be consumed by corals, other fish, pods, equipment and eventually the parents. It's not impossible to raise them but does take a good amount or work and dedication. Once/if they start to breed, it will occure about the same time every month. Keeping up with that will be very daunting.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

For a rearing tank what would one need? Would another 30 gal. with LR and LS after it cycled be sufficient until new homes can be found? How do you make sure you have no hitch-hiking pods on new live rock? I would like to know what equipment I should invest in for a rearing tank if you could help id appreciate it. My emperor 400 works great on my current 30 gal. would that be ok for a rearing or would it be to strong?

TIA
Andrew
Old 02-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #8
steve-s

If you are truely up to the challenge I would strongly urge you to get Joyce D. Wilkerson book.. Clownfishes. It will help guide you quite well through the entire process.

There are also a few decent articles on the web.

Breeding Clownfish... by David Bloch
Breeding Marine Clownfish... by Robert Goldstein

You may even have some luck contacting ORA farms...

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-03-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just to note on the selection of the clownfish... i thought i would be able to mate two small percs, but they ended up killing each other. im not saying it cannot be done, im sure many people have been successful in doing so, but there is a chance they won't. buying a mated pair is just a sure way getting them to not fight and breed.

If you are going to try mating them yourself, be sure to introduce them at the same time so there wont be any intrusion on territory.

i would reccomend the book clownfishes as well. A lot of good information.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

What else do I need to do to my tank to maintain an anenome and possibly corals in the future. I am going to be purchasing a 24" 2 x 65 watt PC some time in the near future. I am also planning an purchasing 110GPD ro/di unit when those funds become available. My main concern is filtration, I miss stated my filter as a Emp 400 it is a Penguin 330 and thats all I have running. I am concerned, after reading other post about skimmers. My LFS lead me to believe skimmers are pointless. Do I need to get a PH in the tank the 330 makes a lot of current. What other problems do you potentially see with this tank. Keep in mind that I would like an anenome and in the future a few corals both stony and soft.

TIA,
Andrew

Tags
30 gallon, clown, clowns, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com