300-400 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armenkk1

Aquarium Advice Freak
this will be in the future, but just getting ready I would like to get some help. I'm planning on having a 300-400 gallon reef tank when I move and am wondering what type of skimmer, lighting, filtration, sump, etc. I should get. I would like to get the best quality possible, and money won't be a big issue because I will b saving up just for this. PLEASE HELP. I would like to know how much I will be spending AHEAD of time. thanks

and right now I have a 150 fowler that is cycling. when it is done I am slowly going to obtain the fish I want for my reef, because I only want the rare of the rare, so I will be searching for the perfect fish. I am advanced with freshwater fish and am tired of most of the drab colors (except for cichlids) and the plants so that is why I'm moving to salt, plus when I was a kid we had huge fish only tanks in my house and was in love with the fish we had I there.

There is no limit to what you can spend. Deltec and Bubble King skimmers are the elite skimmers, but IMO you can do a similar job for MUCH less money.
I would use an Octopus SRO6000 EXT skimmer (about $750.00)

Lighting would probably be Orphek LED units or similar. I don't know how many you'll need because you didn't list the dimensions of the tank, but they are about $750.00 each. I would probably make my own though, and save a ton of money. You could probably make your own fixture for a tank that size for about a grand.

The sump would be a standard 125 gallon tank partitioned for a refugium (about 300-400?)

500 pounds of rock, a couple hundred pounds of dry sand....and that's about it.

A series of Vortech MP40's or MP60s would do. They are the best. Controllable Hydor koralias are fine though....That's what I use.

thanks again. I was wondering, what are some good reef safe fish (won't eat the corals) that I could put with some fuzzy dwarf lionfish, bra aisle I love those guys

Would he hurt the corals? I don't care about shrimp, because I want a fuzzy dwarf lionfish and am not gonna have them.

and some nice colorful fish that stay around 3 1/2 - 7 inches. money isn't a problem, I want fish not many people have.

ok. what other fish 3 1/2 - 7 inches. and by the way thanks for all the advice/help

As I said, there are too many to list. You should browse a resource like Live Aquaria and read the requirements of each fish you like.

I'd get a marine betta.. id have one now if it wouldn't eat my dartfish lol

like marine betas I just don't like how all the fins touch. any other fish that loo like groupers or are groupers but stay under 7 inches. I also like scorpion fish

Back
Top Bottom