Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2004, 09:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to penguinsix Send a message via MSN to penguinsix
what do you recomend for filtration?

2.5 gallon nano -3lb of LR, 3 LBS of LS and some Caulerpa prolifera and a trumpet coral and some xenia.

29 gallon - getting ready to cycle.
penguinsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I gotta ask a stupid question. You got a good location/strong floor to put this tank? Basement maybe?

Congrats too! And don't forget to read a good book before you go too far or but any equipment. Robert Fenner's seems to have the consensus vote for one of the good starter books.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Your live rock will work well for filtration (get a lot). I would also recommend a good protien skimmer, will do wonders for water quality. Does the tank have built in overflows?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that is one big tank! That would look great built into my living room wall!

I am not to sure I would choose a DSB for such a large tank. If you would have asked me this 8 months ago, I would have been for a DSB all the way, but I fear I have "fallen off" the bandwagon a bit. My DSB still works great, but I am also designing a refugium now to eventually take over for the DSB.

I think from now on, any tank I build will incorporate some type of refugium built into the system and will not be a DSB design.

For a 300 gallon, I would approach it with the same mindset and also incorporate quite a bit of LR like everyone else has suggested. You will also want to get a good skimmer and some big powerheads to push that water around.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

with the amount of live rock you'll need for that tank, I will suggest you purchase about 300# of base rock (from places such as hirocks.com). that will do two things for you. first and foremost, it will save you a TON of cash. secondly, you can purchase the baserock overtime as there is no life on it, there is no need to keep it in a tank. You can leave it in the box until you have enough of it and you have everything else for the tank. Then when you first set up the tank, but the remaining 150# of LR. The algae and life on the LR will spread to the base rock pretty quickly and you will have all the same benefits.

for the live sand, try and find southdown sand at a home depot or lowes type of hardware store. (might be hard to find this time of year, its used in sandboxes and gardening) but this will also save you a TON of cash and is actually, IMO, the best sand you can get for you tank.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to penguinsix Send a message via MSN to penguinsix
ok so the first think i need to do is get a job. and the tank isn't free i just have to trade a sulcata tortoise for it and it is mine. I will probably put it in my basement. is it possible to mix live sand with the stuff frome home depot? I will do the 300# of base with the 150# of live rock. I don't believe it has built in overflows. and what are some good brand names for like the other things i would need.

2.5 gallon nano -3lb of LR, 3 LBS of LS and some Caulerpa prolifera and a trumpet coral and some xenia.

29 gallon - getting ready to cycle.
penguinsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

your going to need alot of powerfead ( jets for curent) probly about 6-8

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, alkinaty, calcium, phosphate test kits

hydrometer

thermometer

2 big heaters

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:20 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

a 300 gallon tank is going to be quite the undertaking. When you say the first thing you need to do is get a job... that's an understatement! lol

you can certainly "mix" the LS with the southdown, but what I would, is layer the southdown on the bottom, then add the LS on top. don't worry about mixing.

if it doesn't have built in overflows, consider adding some. What do you think you'll do about a sump for it? (thats what the overflows are for anywya)

and for circulation, a number of powerheads is one option, I would research and plan out a good closed loop system. IMO that will be much more efficient. and a lot less "stuff" in the tank.

and of course the test kits and water quality equipment mentioned above are a must! IMO, get a refractometer, rather than a hydrometer, just my personal preference.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
He could always use a SCWD, it works well in my puny tank. That with 2 maxijet 1200s for the back seems to work well. With a 300, he may even need a couple more.
I would get the tank drilled. The built in overflows with a sump is a must for this monster IMO.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:57 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
research everything before you buy anything. You will be spending alot of money. Figure about 2 grand to set it up. ( you will end up landing somewhere around there.)

Do you have much experence with fishkeeping? I ask because alot of people don't really catch the bug and they end up with a huge investment on something they wish they didn't get and a bunch of fish they either neglect till they die, or try to give away in the end.

For a first time fishkeeper I always reccomend starting with a freshwater system and then working your way up.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 gallon, set-up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com