300 gallon set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penguinsix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I may be getting my schools 300 gallon saltwater tank because they don't have room for it anymore. the seems need to be re-done and the glass cleaned up a little. I was wondering what I should put in this tank to get it started, and if at all possible could you put in the cost of the items? thanks.

Hi, WELCOME TOAA!! :D :D :D What type of tank do you want to keep? I am assuming SW. Do you want FO, FOWLR or reef? Price is going to vary. However, plan onspending A LOT of money. This is an expensive hobby. To outfit a 300 gal. you could spend well over $1000. tha tis not including LS, LR and livestock. Decide what type of tank you want and we can help you from there. Lando

If that is the case, I would recommend a DSB with at least 450 lbs of LR. you also need to consider lighting. On a tank that size, the proper lighting could cost upwords of $1000. Look at the bright side...you are getting a 300 gal. tank for free, right? :wink:

well on the case of the lighting costing so much i might as well just start off with a FO tank with fake decorations to start and eventually turn it to reef in time if that can be done.

You can keep a FOWLR until you decide to go reef. LR is so benifical to the tank I would hate tosee you go without it. You do not need any special lighting to get the great bio-filtration benifits LR has to offer.

oh cool, would i need live sand with that as well or no and how much live rock would i need. If i can get the tank and fix it up it will be a very slow moving process because i am in 11th grade and have no job. what about pumps and all that?

the good news is that this hobby is slow. You do not need to do everything right now. I would go with a 3 inch DSB and 450 lbs of LR.

so what would be the best place to get liver rock from the cheapest. and what about pumps and those things

liverocks.com without questions. the best LR available. It should run just over $5 a pound. As for pumps...wht type of filtration do you plan on using. You will need a few power heads to circulate water...Lando

I gotta ask a stupid question. You got a good location/strong floor to put this tank? Basement maybe?

Congrats too! And don't forget to read a good book before you go too far or but any equipment. Robert Fenner's seems to have the consensus vote for one of the good starter books.

Your live rock will work well for filtration (get a lot). I would also recommend a good protien skimmer, will do wonders for water quality. Does the tank have built in overflows?

Wow, that is one big tank! That would look great built into my living room wall! :)

I am not to sure I would choose a DSB for such a large tank. If you would have asked me this 8 months ago, I would have been for a DSB all the way, but I fear I have "fallen off" the bandwagon a bit. My DSB still works great, but I am also designing a refugium now to eventually take over for the DSB.

I think from now on, any tank I build will incorporate some type of refugium built into the system and will not be a DSB design.

For a 300 gallon, I would approach it with the same mindset and also incorporate quite a bit of LR like everyone else has suggested. You will also want to get a good skimmer and some big powerheads to push that water around.

with the amount of live rock you'll need for that tank, I will suggest you purchase about 300# of base rock (from places such as hirocks.com). that will do two things for you. first and foremost, it will save you a TON of cash. secondly, you can purchase the baserock overtime as there is no life on it, there is no need to keep it in a tank. You can leave it in the box until you have enough of it and you have everything else for the tank. Then when you first set up the tank, but the remaining 150# of LR. The algae and life on the LR will spread to the base rock pretty quickly and you will have all the same benefits.

for the live sand, try and find southdown sand at a home depot or lowes type of hardware store. (might be hard to find this time of year, its used in sandboxes and gardening) but this will also save you a TON of cash and is actually, IMO, the best sand you can get for you tank.

ok so the first think i need to do is get a job. and the tank isn't free i just have to trade a sulcata tortoise for it and it is mine. I will probably put it in my basement. is it possible to mix live sand with the stuff frome home depot? I will do the 300# of base with the 150# of live rock. I don't believe it has built in overflows. and what are some good brand names for like the other things i would need.

your going to need alot of powerfead ( jets for curent) probly about 6-8

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, alkinaty, calcium, phosphate test kits

hydrometer

thermometer

2 big heaters

a 300 gallon tank is going to be quite the undertaking. When you say the first thing you need to do is get a job... that's an understatement! lol

you can certainly "mix" the LS with the southdown, but what I would, is layer the southdown on the bottom, then add the LS on top. don't worry about mixing.

if it doesn't have built in overflows, consider adding some. What do you think you'll do about a sump for it? (thats what the overflows are for anywya)

and for circulation, a number of powerheads is one option, I would research and plan out a good closed loop system. IMO that will be much more efficient. and a lot less "stuff" in the tank.

and of course the test kits and water quality equipment mentioned above are a must! IMO, get a refractometer, rather than a hydrometer, just my personal preference. :D

He could always use a SCWD, it works well in my puny tank. :lol: That with 2 maxijet 1200s for the back seems to work well. With a 300, he may even need a couple more.
I would get the tank drilled. The built in overflows with a sump is a must for this monster IMO.

research everything before you buy anything. You will be spending alot of money. Figure about 2 grand to set it up. ( you will end up landing somewhere around there.)

Do you have much experence with fishkeeping? I ask because alot of people don't really catch the bug and they end up with a huge investment on something they wish they didn't get and a bunch of fish they either neglect till they die, or try to give away in the end.

For a first time fishkeeper I always reccomend starting with a freshwater system and then working your way up.

Back
Top Bottom