Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

30g Bowfront help and conversion

Ok, before we start, I'm just letting everyone know this will be a slow going build.

With taxes and money were going to have to slowly convert it all.

Anyway, I am converting a 30g bowfront from freshwater to saltwater. I have no saltwater equipment other then my aquaclear I will be using as a little hang on fuge.

So having that said, I wanna know everything I need to buy.

Do I need a sump?

How much live rock?

What power heads should I use? Assuming I want corals eventually?

What else do I need?

What is the total amount of money you think it will cost?

Thanks!

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

In terms of costs for a SW tank, it varies on area and what all you end up doing. You have the tank, so that is one thing down.
Do you need a sump? No...but more water is always a good idea.
How much live rock? 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. You don't have to get live rock, base/macro/dry rock works just as well so you can save some money that way.
What powerheads? Koralia's are quite popular due to not being as expensive as some. I have several in my tank and like them, even the ones that sometimes start in the opposite direction. There is a fix for it though.
The key to saltwater is keeping water pristine. Either buy ro/di water from your LFS or buy a unit yourself. BRS sells nice units and you can get them off ebay pretty cheap. I have a 5 stage unit that works well. The other bit is lighting. Corals need lots of light, depending on the type of coral you want. This is where the cost is. My suggestion would be to look at the taotronics LEDs from ebay/amazon. This is as cheap as keeping any photosynthetic coral your heart desires gets. Just try to get a unit you can dim so you can acclimate coral to your new, very powerful lighting.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
In terms of costs for a SW tank, it varies on area and what all you end up doing. You have the tank, so that is one thing down.
Do you need a sump? No...but more water is always a good idea.
How much live rock? 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. You don't have to get live rock, base/macro/dry rock works just as well so you can save some money that way.
What powerheads? Koralia's are quite popular due to not being as expensive as some. I have several in my tank and like them, even the ones that sometimes start in the opposite direction. There is a fix for it though.
The key to saltwater is keeping water pristine. Either buy ro/di water from your LFS or buy a unit yourself. BRS sells nice units and you can get them off ebay pretty cheap. I have a 5 stage unit that works well. The other bit is lighting. Corals need lots of light, depending on the type of coral you want. This is where the cost is. My suggestion would be to look at the taotronics LEDs from ebay/amazon. This is as cheap as keeping any photosynthetic coral your heart desires gets. Just try to get a unit you can dim so you can acclimate coral to your new, very powerful lighting.
Thanks for the reply! How much turnover an hour should I look for?
3g Pico Reef
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That depends on what you are doing with the tank. Soft coral need left than sps. I like 30-50x myself.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I definitely don't want to do anything very hard. Maybe some zoas and mushrooms. I really like softies too
3g Pico Reef
Old 02-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anybody know what skimmer I should use? It needs to be hang on back because I'm not doing a sump. I don't want to spend more than 150 dollars.

Unless I would be able to do a sump and a skimmer for under 250
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

CPR makes a nice hob skimmer. The bak-pak I think it's called.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I built my sump for 80$ with home depot acrylic! I use a tunze 9004 on my 39gal! I think it was 180!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! I will go with the Bak-Pak 2R+ if I don't use a sump.

Will acrylic stick to glass If I used silicone? Will 10g be too small for a sump? what size should I go for if I do use a sump?

Sorry for all the questions! I feel so new again. Saltwater is a whole new world to me!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bigger the better when it comes to a sump! And yes silicone will glue acrylic to glass just fine!

Tags
bowfront, conversion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com