Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Freak

Opinions needed

So my 2 chromis have been in my tank for a few days now, along with 2 hermits, one cleaner shrimp and one strawberry crab. Today when I fed the fish the larger of the two chromis didn't really eat which since I put them in the tank he's usually out and eating as soon as I drop their food in. He's got a good hiding spot behind one of the rocks that is out of the current pretty much and is staying there for the most part. I can't get a good look at him because he won't come out. Should I be worried yet?

Tested the water a few minutes ago...

pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Trites - 0
Trates - 10ppm
Salinity - 1.024
Temp - 77.4

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated

Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Freak

Btw the smaller of the two fish and the cleaner shrimp ate like normal

Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Freak

....someone.... Anyone
Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would probably be not too concerned. If he's not resting on the ground or breathing heavily then perhaps he's a bit shy. One of my chromis is also hanging around behind rocks more than the other 3, but he comes out every now and then and eats. Your parameters sound fine, but I've been told PH needs to be slightly higher at around 8.4?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

So its just been the one day that the Chromis didn't eat? I would just keep an eye on him. Chromis can be quite shy, they do better in groups of 3 or more. It's always possible that he's sick, though so keep me eye on him.
Your pH is fine. From what I've read, a steady pH is more important than a specific number. That being said, I wouldn't let it go below 8.0.
And just BTW, I love my cleaner shrimp!!!! They have so much personality and are always out. Mine even cleans the inside of my blenny's mouth!! LOL. He'll sit there with his big mouth open and let the shrimp clean. Haha The fish will periodically stop by the shrimp for a cleaning. If you hold still when you put your hand in the tank, he'll even clean your cuticles and hand!! My son had a small cut on his hand once and was putting the algae clip in the tank and the cleaner shrimp ran over there SO fast and jumped on his hand and started picking dead skin from the cut!!! It startled my son, but he said it didn't hurt. Love that shrimp!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl
So its just been the one day that the Chromis didn't eat? I would just keep an eye on him. Chromis can be quite shy, they do better in groups of 3 or more. It's always possible that he's sick, though so keep me eye on him.
Your pH is fine. From what I've read, a steady pH is more important than a specific number. That being said, I wouldn't let it go below 8.0.
And just BTW, I love my cleaner shrimp!!!! They have so much personality and are always out. Mine even cleans the inside of my blenny's mouth!! LOL. He'll sit there with his big mouth open and let the shrimp clean. Haha The fish will periodically stop by the shrimp for a cleaning. If you hold still when you put your hand in the tank, he'll even clean your cuticles and hand!! My son had a small cut on his hand once and was putting the algae clip in the tank and the cleaner shrimp ran over there SO fast and jumped on his hand and started picking dead skin from the cut!!! It startled my son, but he said it didn't hurt. Love that shrimp!!!
The Chromis didn't eat today either but he did come out of his hiding spot for a minute or so which gave me a chance to take a good look at him and didn't see any signs of sickness or anything so hopefully it's nothing.

I read the same thing about the pH levels. While cycling it hit 7.8 but its been a constant 8.0 since the cycle finished.

Super love the cleaner shrimp!! He actually tried to jump onto the fish that's been hiding today. I'm assuming to clean him but the fish took off lol. It was quite funny to watch! That's cool about what the shrimp did with your sons cut! Whenever my hand goes in the tank mines follows every move that I make! These guys are great!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chromis can be quite shy at tes. They do better in groups of 3 it seems. I know you don't wanna do 3, though cuz that take up a lot of your stocking. Hopefully he adjusts soon and comes out to play.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Freak

shells?

does anyone know a good place where I can buy shells for my hermit crabs online?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZZLE808 View Post
does anyone know a good place where I can buy shells for my hermit crabs online?
liveaquaria has them
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

Added 2 clowns

I added two clowns last night and came home today to a happy tank and the one Chromis that was hiding came out to play
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	139019  

Tags
30 gallon, 55 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com