Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post
Assuming you have a tight fitting lid, I would do
yellow clown goby
the two clowns
Six line wrasse
Purple dotty back

in that order.

That gives you yellow, orange, black and white, pinkish greenish, and purple.
as of right now I have a glass cover on the tank, on the back side of cover there is a plastic piece that is an optional piece I'm assuming. with it off there is about 3-4 inches that is not covered. thanks for your input on the fish though

Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZZLE808 View Post
as of right now I have a glass cover on the tank, on the back side of cover there is a plastic piece that is an optional piece I'm assuming. with it off there is about 3-4 inches that is not covered. thanks for your input on the fish though

I have the same thing with my tank. I put the plastic on and it still left me a very small clearance that would allow a couple wires to run out the top.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coel
For powerheads I've got two hydor koraila nano 240gph and I like them. I am thinking about adding 1 more. That's in my 38g
Right on, is there a specific spot where you place the powerheads in the tank or do you just place them so there's optimal water flow?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91

I have the same thing with my tank. I put the plastic on and it still left me a very small clearance that would allow a couple wires to run out the top.
Yea I have the plastic part on as well. I'm going to cut holes in it so I can get the intake and outtake tubes in there
Old 11-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Right on, is there a specific spot where you place the powerheads in the tank or do you just place them so there's optimal water flow?
I have one low on the back left and one high at an upward angle on the right. I am going to see how it works though I think I will need a third.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

as far as the CUC goes I could use some pointers. off the top of my head this is what I was thinking:

Banded coral shrimp, 2 of them if its possible
Emerald crab
and a few hermits

once my tank is fully established then I was thinking of adding a starfish but thats further down the road.

now should I have more for the clean up crew or would this suffice and at what point can I start adding them?

thanks in advance for any help/ideas
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
as far as the CUC goes I could use some pointers. off the top of my head this is what I was thinking:

Banded coral shrimp, 2 of them if its possible
Emerald crab
and a few hermits

once my tank is fully established then I was thinking of adding a starfish but thats further down the road.

now should I have more for the clean up crew or would this suffice and at what point can I start adding them?

thanks in advance for any help/ideas
As far as the heater goes, with you being in Hawaii (lucky dog!!), you might not even need a heater. If the temp is 74-79*F without it, then you're ok. Just check early AM and late at night too to make sure it's not dropping down below that at night.
I don't know anything about coral banded other than they can get a little aggressive when they get bigger, not sure how 2 would work in a 30g. So ill leave that up to those with experience with them. Emeralds are good. I have a ruby crab. I suggest Nassarius snails to keep your sandbed gently stirred, I have a bout 10 or so in a 30g. I like astrea snails and banded trochus snails to keep the glass and rocks clean, have about 15 or so total in my 30. And I like scarlet reef hermits cuz they're less likely to kill snails than the red legged or blue legged, so I have 8-10 of those In the 30. Add all of these over time, though, to give your tank enough time to build up some algae for them to eat. Good luck and welcome to the world of SW!!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

As far as the heater goes, with you being in Hawaii (lucky dog!!), you might not even need a heater. If the temp is 74-79*F without it, then you're ok. Just check early AM and late at night too to make sure it's not dropping down below that at night.
I don't know anything about coral banded other than they can get a little aggressive when they get bigger, not sure how 2 would work in a 30g. So ill leave that up to those with experience with them. Emeralds are good. I have a ruby crab. I suggest Nassarius snails to keep your sandbed gently stirred, I have a bout 10 or so in a 30g. I like astrea snails and banded trochus snails to keep the glass and rocks clean, have about 15 or so total in my 30. And I like scarlet reef hermits cuz they're less likely to kill snails than the red legged or blue legged, so I have 8-10 of those In the 30. Add all of these over time, though, to give your tank enough time to build up some algae for them to eat. Good luck and welcome to the world of SW!!
Thanks for the info Beengirl. I was actually thinking that it rarely ever gets below 70 degrees over here so I might in fact need a chiller if anything, but I'll be checking on it like you suggested to determine what I need temperature wise.
So far all I know about coral banded shrimp is that unless they're paired together naturally than they probably won't get along and that they may eat smaller shrimps that are in the tank. I'll do a bit more research on it. In all honesty snails never crossed my mind for some reason ill be looking into that for sure!
At what point do I start adding the CUC to the tank... As soon as it completes cycling?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I add some when the cycle completes, but don't add all of them at once cuz there won't be enough algae to keep them all fed and alive. I would start with 2-3 hermits and 3-4 snails after the cycle is done. Then add more as time goes on.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I wasn't planning on putting them all in at once but thanks for the info because I was pretty lost on when to add the CUC! I'm going to try and pick up my stand today so that I can fill up and begin cycling this weekend but between bills and buying my little girl her gifts for Christmas it may have to wait but we'll see. I'll post pics once I get everything set up.

Tags
30 gallon, 55 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com