Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

added fish

I added two blue/green chromis yesterday. I got them in the tank around 7:30 last night. I used the float method for acclimating. left the lights off and pretty much didn't bother them at all for the rest of the night.

this morning they are as happy as can be I fed them at 8:30 and they both have a very healthy appetite I'll be adding a CUC today.
more pics to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new fish.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	137865  

Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Freak

I added 4 chromis around the same time you added yours as well as a gold head gobby, but my chromis are a small size. I also kept the blue lights on only before tuning them all off when going to bed. They ate some flakes and all seemed very happy swimming around. My goby is more shy and was hiding behind the rocks all night. Let me know what sort of CUC you get and how they go, as I'm also thinking of adding some to my 55g soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1326336748.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	138009  

Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulm7373
I added 4 chromis around the same time you added yours as well as a gold head gobby, but my chromis are a small size. I also kept the blue lights on only before tuning them all off when going to bed. They ate some flakes and all seemed very happy swimming around. My goby is more shy and was hiding behind the rocks all night. Let me know what sort of CUC you get and how they go, as I'm also thinking of adding some to my 55g soon.
I went to my lfs to pick up a CUC, unfortunately they didn't have much to offer (sometime this week they'll get a shipment in). So I ended up just getting 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 hermit. The cleaner shrimp is doing great and after 1 hour of him being in the tank he ate. The hermit has been hiding behind a rock since I put him in but he looks good.

Name:	image-80254937.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	138022
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Freak

That cleaner shrimp looks great. What sort of shrimp is he and how effective is he in cleaning? Do they just eat off the rocks or do they need to be fed something in particular? I picked a crab as a hitchhiker but not sure what type he is ad hard to get a full view of him to be able to ID him. What other fish do you have in your 30g?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulm7373 View Post
That cleaner shrimp looks great. What sort of shrimp is he and how effective is he in cleaning? Do they just eat off the rocks or do they need to be fed something in particular? I picked a crab as a hitchhiker but not sure what type he is ad hard to get a full view of him to be able to ID him. What other fish do you have in your 30g?
The shrimp is a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. From what I understand about it it can clean fishes that are in your tank of ectoparasites or dead tissue. I did do some research on him but I pretty much got him today because I like how he looks in a tank. they do eat frozen food as well as flakes. they also need iodine supplements for molting and growing.
So right now its just the hermit crab that I have that'll be cleaning up the tank, that is until my lfs gets their shipment in later this week. I did see a crab at the lfs which one of the workers told me that it was a Strawberry crab I believe, I didn't buy it because I don't know anything about it.
the two chromis is the only fish I have in the tank right now as I just finished cycling. I plan on getting 2 clowns this weekend and then a 6 line wrasse later on.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Freak

So when feeding my fish should I turn the powerhead off or leave it on?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak

Love that scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp! How much did you get him for and does he really clean fish as well? How do they let him touch them? Can't wait to see your clowns and wrasse. I love wrasses and would have got one as my first fish if they were more peaceful. I definitely plan in getting one at some stage. There are so many beautiful fish available out there that it makes it hard to select a limited number without over stocking your tank when you only have a 55g!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZZLE808 View Post
So when feeding my fish should I turn the powerhead off or leave it on?
I just leave my powerheads on at all times when feeding. I've found the flow I get from the powerheads help circulate the food around the tank rather than landing on one spot. What sort of food are you feeding?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Love that scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp! How much did you get him for and does he really clean fish as well? How do they let him touch them? Can't wait to see your clowns and wrasse. I love wrasses and would have got one as my first fish if they were more peaceful. I definitely plan in getting one at some stage. There are so many beautiful fish available out there that it makes it hard to select a limited number without over stocking your tank when you only have a 55g!
the shrimp cost me about $20 the bigger ones cost a little bit more than that. I'm really digging this guy because hes all over the tank, jumping from rock to rock... great personality on him! I would guess that they clean fishes pretty good since fishes always go back to it for cleaning. Mine hasn't got there yet with my 2 chromis yet but hopefully it will. You can go on you tube and see a few videos of these shrimp cleaning fish, pretty cool to see.

I know what you mean with the stocking thing!! I only have a 30 gallon long and it took me a few weeks to figure out what I'm going to put into the tank and even now I'm still not 100% sure. Soooo many choices sooooo little space.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I just leave my powerheads on at all times when feeding. I've found the flow I get from the powerheads help circulate the food around the tank rather than landing on one spot. What sort of food are you feeding?
I figured as much, my fish just stay in one spot when its feeding time and wait for the food to come to them and they usually get all of it so leaving the powerhead on works out just fine. I just got a little worried at first because when I fed them the food was all over the tank.

I use flakes and frozen mysis to feed so far everyone seems to be okay with that.

I added another hermit crab yesterday as well as one strawberry crab. when I seen the strawberry crab the other day I wanted it so I went home and did some research and he turned out to be an ok addition so I bought one .
I'll post pics when I get off work.

Tags
30 gallon, 55 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com