30g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nevermind the last question :p I just read through the link and got my answer

Lol well even though you disregarded the last question I found myself testing sometimes twice a day during my cycle b/c I was so excited! xD Like the levels were going to drop that fast..pshh...

Lol well even though you disregarded the last question I found myself testing sometimes twice a day during my cycle b/c I was so excited! xD Like the levels were going to drop that fast..pshh...
lol I know what you mean because I have that same exact feeling now!!!

testing question

I just put a raw dead shrimp into my tank. When should I start testing the water parameters?

I just put a raw dead shrimp into my tank. When should I start testing the water parameters?

I tested every day just cuz I'm a little OCD. The ammonia should start to rise in a day or two. Testing every day is good practice if you've never done the tests before. The cycle will probably take at least a few weeks. This is the difficult part-waiting with all that anticipation. :)

Did my first water test today:

pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.50ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Specific Gravity - 1.025

It's only a few days into the cycle but I'm excited as can be! I also added a maxi-jet 400 PH today...a lot better circulation now

Hi,

Congrats on getting your tank started.

You mentioned you were interested in getting 2 Coral-banded shrimp.

I have one in my 29g FOWLR (You can look at photos on my profile). He is the little devil of my tank. I've known mine for about 2 years. He is about 2" now but his antennas are 2-3 times his size. I would say with great certainty that it would be best to only get one.

They crawl around EVERYWHERE and are constantly sticking their little hand/claws into crevis' in the rock looking for food. Mine is SUPER active. And since I got an Anemone a few days ago, I've constantly had to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't pick at it. Whenever my fish see it coming they quickly swim away.

I wouldn't say he is aggressive but more of a frenzied eater.

He is beautiful and I think he adds great personality to my tank :)

Here is some links I gathered when I was learning more about him. GL!

FreshMarine.com - Coral Banded Shrimp - Stenopus hispidus - Buy Cheap Banded Coral at Wholesale
Coral Banded Shrimp, Banded Coral Shrimp - Stenopus hispidus
Saltwater Aquarium Shrimp for Marine Reef Aquariums: Banded Coral Shrimp

Hi,

Congrats on getting your tank started.

You mentioned you were interested in getting 2 Coral-banded shrimp.

I have one in my 29g FOWLR (You can look at photos on my profile). He is the little devil of my tank. I've known mine for about 2 years. He is about 2" now but his antennas are 2-3 times his size. I would say with great certainty that it would be best to only get one.

They crawl around EVERYWHERE and are constantly sticking their little hand/claws into crevis' in the rock looking for food. Mine is SUPER active. And since I got an Anemone a few days ago, I've constantly had to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't pick at it. Whenever my fish see it coming they quickly swim away.

I wouldn't say he is aggressive but more of a frenzied eater.

He is beautiful and I think he adds great personality to my tank :)

Here is some links I gathered when I was learning more about him. GL!

FreshMarine.com - Coral Banded Shrimp - Stenopus hispidus - Buy Cheap Banded Coral at Wholesale
Coral Banded Shrimp, Banded Coral Shrimp - Stenopus hispidus
Saltwater Aquarium Shrimp for Marine Reef Aquariums: Banded Coral Shrimp
Thanks for the info Lady and the link as well. I pretty much decided to only get one to put into my tank. What other CUC do you have in your tank (snails, hermits etc) and how does banded shrimp act towards them?

Coral banded shrimp are mean! They've been known to attack shrimp, fish, etc. Even my trusted LFS didn't recommend them (in a peaceful tank).

I have 3 little hermits, they have red bodies. I'm not sure what species they are. They are ~.75". I've seen a handful of little Nassarius Snails come out of my sand bed at night. I also have Chocolate Chip Sea Star, though they are a bit controversial I've never had a problem with mine.

All my CUC seems to get along fine.

I think I read another person saying this but don't add them right away or not all anyways. I'm basing this on logic and my readings since I got my tank already established, you want to have a little visible "grime" and stuff in your tank so they have something to eat, this is especially important with the banded shrimp and the CC star.

I would definitely start out small maybe with just the hermit(s) and snails. Note: the shrimp and star are Carnivores, so making sure they eat well, I believe insures peace.

nothing much to update, pretty much letting mother nature do her thing. Only difference today is the Ammonia went from .5 to 1.0 so its coming along. as you can see from the pics I have yet to change the rock work... I'm working on that. also there is a pic of what the shrimp looks like after 3 days

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 117
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 136
I have 3 little hermits, they have red bodies. I'm not sure what species they are. They are ~.75". I've seen a handful of little Nassarius Snails come out of my sand bed at night. I also have Chocolate Chip Sea Star, though they are a bit controversial I've never had a problem with mine.

All my CUC seems to get along fine.

I think I read another person saying this but don't add them right away or not all anyways. I'm basing this on logic and my readings since I got my tank already established, you want to have a little visible "grime" and stuff in your tank so they have something to eat, this is especially important with the banded shrimp and the CC star.

I would definitely start out small maybe with just the hermit(s) and snails. Note: the shrimp and star are Carnivores, so making sure they eat well, I believe insures peace.
Thanks, I was thinking of just starting with hermits and snails and go from there. Nice to know your CUC gets along. I'm thinking that after my tank has been established for a few months I'll entertain the idea of getting a star but time will tell

Todays water test:

pH - 7.8 / 8.0
Ammonia - 4.0
Nitrite - 1.0ppm
Nitrate - 0
Salinity - 1.026

everything seems to be moving along so thats good although, the salinity is a bit on the high side. If this continues what should I be doing to lower it?

while I was looking at my tank I noticed two little shells that were on the move... I'm assuming they're snails that hitchhiked on the LR, don't know if they're going to make it through the cycling process though :(

Todays water test:

pH - 7.8 / 8.0
Ammonia - 4.0
Nitrite - 1.0ppm
Nitrate - 0
Salinity - 1.026

everything seems to be moving along so thats good although, the salinity is a bit on the high side. If this continues what should I be doing to lower it?

while I was looking at my tank I noticed two little shells that were on the move... I'm assuming they're snails that hitchhiked on the LR, don't know if they're going to make it through the cycling process though :(

for the salinity just take a little water out and add a little fresh RODI water. do this very little by little until you reach the level you desire.

good luck on the cycle, i'm undergoing mine too.

Thanks, I was sort of thinking that but I wasn't sure. How far along are you with your cycle?

So I changed my scape around...not sure if I'm digging it yet but it'll do for now I guess...what do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 122
Thanks beengirl! I was looking at the tank this morning before I came to work and the scape is kind of growing on me... so I guess I'll leave it the way it is for a while.

topping off

I've only had to top off once so far and I used saltwater to do so... should I be using distilled water for topping off and will this drop the salinity at all?

Back
Top Bottom