Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

30g build

So I ended up getting 30g tank and as you can see I didn't get the stand yet. I'm toying with the idea of making my own but I'm not sure yet. I got the EHEIM professional 3 ultraG65 canister filter rated at 250 GPH. The lighting is Marineland double bright LED (2 strips of white and 1 strip of blue). I also got 30lbs of sand and a Hydrometer. todays purchases came out to just a little under $600. I'm going to try and go back next week to finish off buying everything I need

I also decided that instead of using this tank as quarantine tank when I eventually upgrade to a 150g that I might as well turn it into a sump. but for now I'm just so excited to have started my first project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	133608  

Old 11-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea!!!! It's so exciting when you first get into SW! I still find it exciting, especially getting new fish or corals. Keep us posted on your progress!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
Yea!!!! It's so exciting when you first get into SW! I still find it exciting, especially getting new fish or corals. Keep us posted on your progress!
I'm so stoked... I sat and stared at the tank for a little while after I got it home just thinking of how its going to look when everything is said and done!
MUST...........HAVE...........PATIENCE!! LOL
BTW Beengirl your tank is awesome!!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZZLE808
I'm so stoked... I sat and stared at the tank for a little while after I got it home just thinking of how its going to look when everything is said and done!
MUST...........HAVE...........PATIENCE!! LOL
BTW Beengirl your tank is awesome!!
Thank you!! I have a 55g reef and a 30g FOWLR. I have sat and stared for numerous hours at my tanks. Only other people who do this hobby would be able to understand doing that!! Lol. Patience can be difficult, but a beautiful tank and healthy fish is well worth the wait! keep us posted on your progress!!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
Thank you!! I have a 55g reef and a 30g FOWLR. I have sat and stared for numerous hours at my tanks. Only other people who do this hobby would be able to understand doing that!! Lol. Patience can be difficult, but a beautiful tank and healthy fish is well worth the wait! keep us posted on your progress!!
I seen the pics of your 55g, do you have pics of your 30g posted?
I will definitely keep everyone posted on the progress of my tank! completely agree with you in the fact that patience leads to a beautiful tank and healthy fish! I most certainly plan on staring at my tank and its inhabitants for many an hour!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZZLE808
I seen the pics of your 55g, do you have pics of your 30g posted?
I will definitely keep everyone posted on the progress of my tank! completely agree with you in the fact that patience leads to a beautiful tank and healthy fish! I most certainly plan on staring at my tank and its inhabitants for many an hour!
I have a thread of my 30g under the SW Fish only and FOWLR section, it's called "Beengirl's 30g FOWLR starts." If you have time, check it out. My daughter is doing that tank with me. But I'm planning on upgrading that into a 125g FOWLR within the next year. I'm excited! Good luck and ill be following your build!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

So this weekend I'm hoping to have water in my tank along with some live and base rock but I have a few questions before I get to it.

what type of powerheads should I be looking at getting for my 30g long?

Is a heater absolutely necessary while my tank is cycling?

I'm going to be using water straight out of the ocean, will this speed up the cycling time or does it not matter?

as far as my set up... I have the tank, lights, substrate, cannister filter, simple hydrometer (will buy test kit soon)... besides PH's, heater and thermometer is there anything that I'm missing??

any and all help/input is greatly appreciated...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh and I could definitely use some ideas for my stock... after hours and hours making a list then narrowing it down I'm left with these choices. the only fish that I'm certain on is 2 clowns, one black and white and one Ocellarish, these have to be in my tank as my 3 year old daughter would be highly pissed at me if I didn't have "Nemo" in the tank.

the other choices in no particular order:

Ocellarish Clowns (x2)
Blue reef Chromis
yellowtail dascyllus
purple dottyback
flame hawkfish
line spot flasher wrasse
six line wrasse

so these are my choices I would get them all but for a 30g I believe its a bit too much unfortunately...
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZZLE808 View Post
oh and I could definitely use some ideas for my stock... after hours and hours making a list then narrowing it down I'm left with these choices. the only fish that I'm certain on is 2 clowns, one black and white and one Ocellarish, these have to be in my tank as my 3 year old daughter would be highly pissed at me if I didn't have "Nemo" in the tank.

the other choices in no particular order:

Ocellarish Clowns (x2)
Blue reef Chromis
yellowtail dascyllus
purple dottyback
flame hawkfish
line spot flasher wrasse
six line wrasse

so these are my choices I would get them all but for a 30g I believe its a bit too much unfortunately...
Assuming you have a tight fitting lid, I would do
yellow clown goby
the two clowns
Six line wrasse
Purple dotty back

in that order.

That gives you yellow, orange, black and white, pinkish greenish, and purple.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

For powerheads I've got two hydor koraila nano 240gph and I like them. I am thinking about adding 1 more. That's in my 38g

Tags
30 gallon, 55 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com