Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

30g tank build starting soon

so plan on starting a 30g tank soon. starting to piece all the equipment together slowly but surely. just bought the tank from a friend, and it's a 30g long tank; 36". it has no hood or canopy and my first question is what are some options I can do for this? I really don't mind having an open setup, would just like to close it off though to keep anything out. found a good price on a 36" metal halide light so might be using this and possibly a plexiglass cover.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thats what I did when I got my light fixture. Most people just leave it open but I had too much evap. I would go with an all glass cover though because metal halides get really hot.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi there.

Not sure I would go with a plastic or any cover for that matter if you go with the halides. I have the same dilemma now myself. lol I would err on the side of caution. the last thing you want is a melted or even worse, shattered top.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

very true I forgot how hot the halides can get. yea the main thing I was worried about was the amount of evap.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

any comments on these CPR bakpaks? was looking at some mainly because it's a reasonable price and also HOB and protein skimmer in one.

Tags
30 gallon, build, starting, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com