Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

33 gal long setup

I am a new to the saltwater world and I was wondering if someone could help me. I am running on a very tight budget, about 30-40 a month dedicated to the hobby. I am planning on starting it in the fall. I have a ten gallon sump but no plumbing or overflow, a 20 watt fluorescent light, emperor 400 filter, and basic things from freshwater(heater, etc). I need all the help I can get. I am starting with a fowlr, or maybe have some mushrooms and that's all. I am only 14 and this is what almost every penny goes into lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, would setting up my extra ten gal be easier. I am willing to devote a lot of time on this.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you can spend another 15 to 18 dollars for a good book, I can suggest you "the new marine aquarium step by step setup and stocking guide"
It's better to wait, read a lot, share experience with others and then you can decide in your setup.
Also have a lot of shortcuts and all the "do not's" that sometimes we forget.
With a little bit of money you can start your setup, but you have to consider that if your system is bigger, you have more time, if an error occurs. In a little tank, you have to have more careful, because your window of time is little too.
Welcome and I hope that you can have some answers to all the questions.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

All I can say is having 30-40 a month at age 14 is amazing! I try to get my kids (one older one younger than you) to do chores to EARN money and they want to be lazy, so they don't get it!

I know it is exciting but remember that patients is the key. I know it is hard but will pay off in the long run.

With that lighting I don't know that you will be able to keep much. Possibly the mushrooms because they are low light, but will have to let someone more experienced chime in.

Yes, I would recommend you get the 10g set up as a sump. The more water volume you have the better you will be. With a sump setup you won't need the emperor filter. You should look into DIY overflows that can be made from PVC. They may not be pretty, but they are in your budget.

One of the more expensive items will be the return pump from the sump. The live rock can also get really expensive but you can cut down on this by getting mostly (like 75%) base rock and then the rest live rock. The base rock will turn live over time.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanda
If you can spend another 15 to 18 dollars for a good book, I can suggest you "the new marine aquarium step by step setup and stocking guide"
It's better to wait, read a lot, share experience with others and then you can decide in your setup.
Also have a lot of shortcuts and all the "do not's" that sometimes we forget.
With a little bit of money you can start your setup, but you have to consider that if your system is bigger, you have more time, if an error occurs. In a little tank, you have to have more careful, because your window of time is little too.
Welcome and I hope that you can have some answers to all the questions.
Haha I do have that book and also a few magazines and an encyclopedia of fish pretty much. And I have been working on this for about a year, but just research. Thank you very much.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just started a 34 long almost a week ago. goodluck! onceagain id suggest starting the 33 as bigger is better butalso remeber that you will have to buy more rock, more sand, a bigger (or two) powerhead and the waterchangeswill be larger which means more $. research the costs and do what fits you budget best
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by classklown90
I just started a 34 long almost a week ago. goodluck! onceagain id suggest starting the 33 as bigger is better butalso remeber that you will have to buy more rock, more sand, a bigger (or two) powerhead and the waterchangeswill be larger which means more $. research the costs and do what fits you budget best
Ya I understand that it would be better in the long run and did u post it?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes i did. its the "34 gallon long build" thread in the saltwater and reef section
Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by classklown90
yes i did. its the "34 gallon long build" thread in the saltwater and reef section
Thanks I checked it i like your setup but you could use some more live rock
Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes i know, alot more.just waiting on the $$
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha that's how I'm gonna be in a few months. I am looking at lights right now and they're really expensive. But I found these on the cheaper side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-26277625.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	29763   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2247097897.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	29764  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3221049102.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	29765  

Tags
long, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com