33 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xabien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I recently set up a freshwater aquarium. It is a Juwel 125. It's about 33 US gallons. I have 17 fish in it at the moment. Would it be hard changing to salt water? If I could take the fish back, how would I go about converting to a salt water aquarium and when I had converted, how many and what type of fish would I be able to get in it?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, did you ever add copper based meds. to the tank? copper is really bad to corals. you can have smaller fish in the tank. cardnails, clowns, blennies. you also will need a skimmer and maybe upgrade your filtration. If you plane on keeping corals you will need more light.. before you start salt do a lot of reading in books or online!! If you have any ? let me know Pete :)

Wow, you can keep that many fish in a FW tank?? 8O For SW, it is quite different. Depending on species chosen, the general guideline for SW fish stocks is 1" of fish for every 5 gal of tank less the tail. It is a good rule to try and follow but it is not rigid. Basically you would be looking at about 4x 2-3" fish. Keep in mind while calculating the amount of fish potential, it is with the adult size in mind not the actual fish size at the time of purchase.

Changing over from fresh to salt is basically starting over for the most part. Depending on filtration, heaters and PH's that would be about the only salvagable equipment other than the tank.

Substrate, decorations and any rock/wood should be removed. As mentioned above other items may be needed depending on tank type chosen and could run a few hundred easy.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom