Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
33 gallon tank idea

I can get a good deal on a 33 gallon 48x12.5x13inch tank. My idea was to turn it into an AIO. I plan on adding a false wall on one end thats about a foot long, leaving me with 3 feet of tank. This would give me room for the overflow section with a media basket, a fuge section, and the return.

Return pump- Rio 8HF rated at 550gph
Powerhead- 2-3 Maxi Jet 400 Pro set to circulation mode rated at 500 gph and placed on the opposite end of the overflow
Heater- 200 watt Hydor Theo
Lighting- Nova Extreme SLR 36" 156 or 78 watt- this is because a foot is taken off the end for the AIO

Livestock plan-
40lbs of Marco rocks and sand and 5lbs of live rock to minimize unwanted hitchhikers
softies, lps, few sps (monti and birdsnest), and possibly a clam
clean up crew from Reef Cleaner with hermits- a very nice place to get CUC
Peppermint, Skunk, and possibly a few sexy shrimp

since it is a 3 foot long tank my fish possibilities:

Yellow or Scopas tang (I'm aware that most people would recommend so and so gallons but what is more important is the length of the tank, i.e. someone can state they have a 50 gallon tank but it turns out its an actual 20 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump, where as I have a 33 gallon tank that is 4 feet long that is about the same length as some recommended 50-70 gallon tanks)

Goby and shirmp combo- I like the yellow prawn

and possibly a pair of clowns and firefishes.

It sounds pretty stocked right now but I feel like I can get it to work. Any thoughts?

duoc9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Other than the tang sounds good i suppose. Even four feet is supposed to be too small for them. I bought my sw tank with the one intention of having a tang but its too small at 55g.

The clowns and the goby sound great!
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote

3 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com