Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

35 gallon tall reef beginner. Please help :)

Hello! This is my first post on any aquarium forum since i started this hobby so bear with me..

I currently have a 35 gallon salt water tank, it is equipped with 2 filters, one is a standard hang-on back 55g filter(carbon). The second filter is a bio-ball wet/dry filter rated for up to 110 gallons (overflow hang-on back). i don't know if that's over-kill but, I've seen the more and the bigger the better. The only thing i figure is a necessity right now is the protein skimmer.
^ correct me if im wrong please.

Currently in the tank are 2 pieces of cultured rock to start the biological filtration process. It has been running for about 3 weeks now. Their are various different small organism (filter feeder/tube like) which i dont know the name of, also ive spotted a few small snails exploring and living on/in the rock.

The Tanks salinity is currently at .024-25 for the establishment stage.
I currently only have a ammonia tester in the tank and below 0.02(safe). (I know that's essential to coral health.

ill be acquiring pH/trate/trite testers within the week.
^Could someone tell me what i want those levels at?

Im only looking to have 3-4 fish (2 oscellaris clowns for sure) i could use some suggestons for 2 other compatible reef fish) a cleaner shrimp or 2 and various coral.
(the girlfriend wants a nemo theme tank ) I dont blame her I think it would immaculate, under perfect conditions.

My other question is could I put some beginner/establishing fish in their to help establish the biological filtration?

Please respond asap! Ill post a video/photos on response.

Thanks,

- Matt

Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd use fishless cycling, search for eco's (almost) complete guide on fishless cycling

You need a bigger tank for a nemo tank, a salt expert will give you suggestions, in the realm of salt you have a nano tank (small) and really a fairly small tank for freshwater

Edit: a tall tank looks epic, but that's it, they reduce surface are and make cramped conditions for what's contained, a 35gal tall is more like a 20gal long in relative size, not many fish swim up and down, freshwater angels are a good example of a fish that like a tall tank though

Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, I see ocellaris nano fish for 10g nanos and sizes like that i cant imagine how i couldnt home them in my current size.

im not aiming for large fish. more beautiful back drop coral if you can kinda imagine what im thinking.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbjank
Ok, I see ocellaris nano fish for 10g nanos and sizes like that i cant imagine how i couldnt home them in my current size.

im not aiming for large fish. more beautiful back drop coral if you can kinda imagine what im thinking.
Never said you couldn't
Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollabill420

Never said you couldn't
Just information lol saves sifting on the Internet

Meant to hit edit now can't delete, I think
Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollabill420 View Post

You need a bigger tank for a nemo tank, a salt expert will give you suggestions, in the realm of salt you have a nano tank (small) and really a fairly small tank for freshwater
then why would i need a bigger tank? As i said before im aiming for small fish 2 nano clown and a pair of another nano type.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbjank

then why would i need a bigger tank? As i said before im aiming for small fish 2 nano clown and a pair of another nano type.
You said about a nemo tank, maybe you meant a nano tank in which you will be fine but for a nemo, which is a movie aquarium you need more like a 150gal, I must have misread got bad eyes lol

Edit: ooooo a nemo theme not nemo tank fish, sorry for the misunderstanding, and the information I gave about tall tanks it was just a tidbit of info, not saying ur tank is too small for what you want
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where's the video I was promised haha
Old 07-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

alll goood, :P

let me upload it from my droid real quick. brb
Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lysmata amboinensis, the northern cleaner shrimp, scarlet cleaner shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp or Pacific cleaner shrimp, is an omnivorous shrimp species, which will generally scavenge and eat parasites and dead tissue. L. amboinensis is naturally part of the reef ecosystem, and is widespread in the Red Sea and tropical Indo-Pacific.[1]

That's wut jaque the shrimp in finding nemo is, nemo and his parents are actually a false oscelli(sp.) clownfish they would make a sweet tank, then you could concentrate on your corals

Tags
5 gallon, beginner, reef, tall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com