36 gal Aqueon Bowfront New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmeq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all... So I've had a freshwater tank for a couple of years. I received the aqueon 36 gallon bowfront package setup. It came with the hood, heater, 18 watt lamp, filtration system and tank. I want to build this as a reef tank. I know its on the small side but really I don't have the room for something larger. I don't know exactly where to start. Well sort of. I know I want to change out the lighting to 4 t5 and 2 moonlight led's. But I have no clue what fits my tank. I know that I do not want a sump but do want a protein skimmer but again no clue what fits in my tank or if a protein skimmer can be used without a sump or if I should use the filtration system that came with the setup along with the protein skimmer. I do want a deep live sand bed and dry rock to aquascape and cycle my tank but I don't know how deep the sand should be and if this will effect how I calculate for the amount of watts for lighting. Water to start off with... Should I buy it or just use tap water condition and salt the water myself. If I prep the water myself do I mix it in a bucket first or do it all in the tank? Powerheads.... Do I need these when I'm cycling my tank? Will one be sufficient? I'm so confused. I'm sure some of these questions seem silly... But any help would be appreciated!

Hello, yes you can use a protein skimmer without a sump, they make hang-on- the- back models. If you wanted to, you could also use the standard filter that came with your tank package.

From what I have read, in order to have the benefits of a deep sand bed (DSB) it needs to be four inches.

I would recommend making the saltwater yourself using and RO/DI unit. These units remove impurities from your tap water. The water that you make should go right into a bucket, where it is to be heated and mixed with salt for about twenty-four hours before use.

Hope this helps. :)

Unfortunately, an Ro/di unit is not possible at this time. What are other options to fill my tank?

At this time, I don't have a RO/DI unit either, I buy water from a Glacier vending machine. 30 cents a gallon. Riskier than making your own, I know, but it has worked for me.

That might need to be my solution for the time being. Do you do your salt mix and heat your water in a clean garbage can? How does that work?

Carey was nice enough to give me this link;

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

That's the RO/DI unit I use. $66 + free shipping
(I'm pretty broke atm too, so this was the only choice)

I'm still brand new to sw, but I mix up some salt and RO/DI water in a 5 g bucket (for you it'd prob be a garbage can or larger container - my tanks small) then stir it up really good and leave it overnight with the powerhead blowing it around.

I hope I'm doing that right, so correct me if I am not :)

Do you think I can get away with doing my water mix in the tank & letting it mix for 24 hrs then adding sand & rock after the saline level & temp is right? I'd like to save the $30 it will cost to buy a huge garbage can to put that $ towards something else if I can.

For the initial setup before cycling that is fine. You dont have to worry about too much besides ammonia/nitrite/nitrate while cycling. I cycled my last tank at 1.044 salinity because i messed up my measurements. Didnt worry about it til the cycle was done.

Thanks so much! I'm really getting excited to start this! As far as equipment goes all I need is some decent lighting and I'm ony way. I went to the LFS today and he was animate on me getting a sump set up... But I think with this size tank the deep sand bed, protien skimmer and filter that came with my tank should be sufficient. What do you think?

Yes, you should be fine. My 55 gallon sw tank is set up without a sump. Just the items you have listed. Its been up and running for over 10 months. I also have the dual t5s with soft coral as well.

A sump is always a good idea. More water means more room for mistakes, and there are always mistakes. I started my 36 bowfront without one and soon wanted one as I wanted corals in my tank. It gave me room to house my protein skimmer. Now it has a refugium, pod population, and my heater in it. It sounds like your LFS guy knows his stuff. As for the deep sand bed, i'll be honest those frighten me. The chance of accidentally releasing toxic gases trapped under the sand? That is one I'll avoid.

Toxic gases? What tha? How? Wha? Please share with the rest of the class...

Thanks for the link! I'm learning lots already.

Back
Top Bottom