Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

360 gallon FOWLR build!!!!

Ok I'm in the process of setting up a 72 by 31.5 by 36.5 custom saltwater aquarium. This is my biggest build so I have some questions. What all do I need filtration wise? I'm looking at running a reef octopus 300int protein skimmer rated for 600 gallons in a 90 gallon DIY sump. Also I'm looking t getting About 500 lbs of dry rock and seed it with live. But what else should I be looking into? Should I do a refugium? Any tips or advice? Very open to any and all suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also I'm looking at doing two 36' aquaticlife edge LED lighting systems! Would those work?

Old 01-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If it's fowlr only then any lights will do. Just up to you about how much light you want in the tank and the coverage you want. I prefer to cover a whole tank with light so I would get a fixture(s) that will go completely across.

I think you might be over shooting with the rockjust a little. Typically in a fowlr that large you will want large fish, so the stacking of the huge amounts of rock like for a reef arent really necessary. You want there to be a good amount of open space for swimming of large fish.

If it were me, I would start with say 300 lbs and go from there. You can always add base rock after with no ill effects. It;s the live rock that you dont want to add after a cycle has been completed as it can cause a mini parameter spike, though with a 360g that probably wouldnt even affect the overall tanks parameters.

Sounds like a great build, I wish I could go from my 180g up to a 300+ gallon tank. Sooo much fun!!

Any ideas on your stock list? And are you 100% certain you wont go reef? That will determine the lighting needed as well.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm 100% it won't be a complete reef tank, I might grow some small mushrooms and such but not a reef tank. Closer to FOWLR but maybe a mixed reef overtime.

So your saying that the two 36' fixtures wouldnt be enough to complete light the tank? I know they would stretch the whole length. I just didn't know if they would have enough output.

And I planed on putting a lot of the rock in the sump or a bonus refugium. I'm just trying to overkill with filtration, because I'm sure I will be heavy stocking the tank. Is that skimmer good enough to filter the tank on its own?
And I've done some thinking on stocking but I'm not locked in yet? Any suggestions? I want a large angel and some big tangs! My only big fish I'm sold on so far is a sail fin tang! Other than that I've just researched a lot of different types!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
a couple hundred pounds of rock and that skimmer and you should be fine. I suggest getting the fish small and watching them grow. How big are you expecting to buy these fish? This tank you are setting up can be overstocked like any other. The large angels are not reef safe and will may devour your corals.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I plan on buying fish smaller and growing out, no huge plans yet other than a nice angel and some tangs! So you think my filtration would be enough for a heavy stocking?

Old 01-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also how big of a return pump should I be looking at?

Old 01-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, within reason. Still though, excessive feeding may end up showing itself as elevated nitrates from detritus accumulation inside the DT. Good flow and reasonable feeding and I don't see any reason why you couldn't heavily stock this tank.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin144 View Post
Also how big of a return pump should I be looking at?
What is your overflow(s) rated for? I used a mag 24 on my 195 with 125 gallon sump and it was a nice amount of flow. Anything over1500 gph I think would be fine. All the return needs to do is fed the components in the sump. You aren't going to use it for flow really.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok the tank has two overflow boxes, and I was looking at going with something pushing about 4000gph? Is thT too much

Tags
60 gallon, build, fowlr, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com