Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like a great start!!! good job!!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Finally getting close to finishing!

Got around to putting in the live sand and a bit of water. Started aquascaping... and kept aquascaping for a couple of days. It just never seemed good enough, or maybe I thought I could do better. But finally settled in on a design.

So while I wait for the bacteria to build up (I'm just using old fish food), I guess I'll share a few lessons and goofs I learned in the last few days.

-Use gloves of something to protect your hands while aquascaping. If you kept on rearranging the rocks over several days, you hands get real raw.
-The bottom of the notches is not where the water level will be. I thought incorrectly and drilled/placed the overflow too high. Now the water level is right at the plastic rim.
-Don't leave for dinner right after you fill up the tank. We came back and the hardwood floor had a puddle of water because of (next goof)
-Read the instructions. I place the rubber gaskets on the overflow in the wrong places, in addition to not tightening the bulkhead enough.

Well, that's all for now. Got a makeshift sump in place. Waiting to get a 10G tank, and protein skimmer. And lots and lots of water testing over the next few days and weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	167410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	167411  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	167412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	167413  

Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just wanted to ask people here, but how loud should the return pump and the overflow be? Cause it's quite loud now. The Mag 5 pump vibrates quite a bit an there's a loud hum coming from it. Not sure if there's something wrong with the impeller, but I think that may be the cause... maybe it's unbalanced or something.

The Glass Holes overflow is loud too. I think my flow rate is a bit low for the overflow. I tried stuffing a wad of paper on one side of the drain, and the overflow itself decreased in noise, but the elbow and drain is loud too. I'm using flex hosing instead of rigid PVC, could that be the problem?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

bump anyone?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use a HOB overflow box and mine gets loud sometimes "makes a sucking noise" but most of the time it's pretty quiet. How full is your tank? Sometimes mine gets loud when the water is lower
Old 04-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also I use a smooth tube not a rigid one.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

My overflow is pretty loud also. Sounds like someone snoring up a storm in the living room! Lol. I placed a glass top on top of it to cut back on the noise... But my tank is an open top... So it cuts down on some of the noise but not so much. There's also some type of sponge like thing you can place on the pipe inside the overflow that cuts back on the noise. I have yet to get an other one bc my pipe is twice as long but that helped cut back on noise. Might want to look around and see if your lfs might carry it.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rpbustillo:
Well, my waterline is a bit higher than I like, it's between 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the top. I really get worried that it's going to overflow. I have found a way to quiet down the overflow itself... it seems like if the flow rate is a low, the overflow box is low on water and it kinda echos. So for the time being, I blocked off one of the two sides to increase the flow to the remaining side.

Now the elbow is making noise... I do have a 1.5inch to 1.0 inch reducer... wondering if that's causing the noise now.

GoldfishJoey
I'll look into the sponge thingy... hopefully my LFS has it so I can install it. Hope it works... it's really loud.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try adding more water in the sump or overflow
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rpbustillo

Just stopped by Petco, they had a sale on aquariums. I picked up a 10G for 10 bucks, and it should be a nice replacement for the Rubbermaid tub I'm currently using...

Tags
aqueon, bowfront, conversion, saltwater, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com