37 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieKontak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay guys this would be my first saltwater tank so any advice anyone has would be amazing!! I have a 37 marine land tank that has a built in filter and lights and I'm not sure if that's going to be okay with saltwater because I don't know if I can change the bulb. I want to do live sand, live rock, coral, and I really want a lion fish but because that's such a hard fish to get to eat I think I'll start with a few different clowns maybe a Blenny or a goby, some different shrimp like peppermints, and then maybe a starfish. Does anyone have any advice on the best kinds of these fish for this tank or that can mix together?

Never mind with that 37 but I do want to do a forty or around there tank. What kinda fish could I have? I want in the long term a dwarf zebra lionfish!

you should be fine with a dwarf lion in the tank and as for tank mates you would want anything that would fit in his mouth a nice combo might be a dwarf lion with a toby puffer like a valentini and those should be fine in a 40 but not with much else and wouldnt advise coral with it. as for the coral if you cant swap a bulb I would avoid reef as this needs high lighting.

as for the other different clowns would not mix well together and gobies and blennies would be potenital snacks for the lion along with the clowns and peppermints

I was thinking about doing the lion down the road because while they are hardy they can be very troublesome to get to eat and I want to start with something easier which is why I was thinking about doing the clowns, gobies, and Blenny first. Then a lion in another tank later on. I'll have to look into the puffer I never thought about putting one in with a lion. The tank I got isn't good for saltwater from what I read online. Do you have saltwater? If so what kind of filtration do you use?

I have a sump and a protein skimmer, personally the best two filtration methods for salt. I have a 34 gallon tank with 2 clowns a valentini puffer a yellow headed sleeper goby and 2 cleaner and 2 peppermint shrimps very interesting all of them but puffer by far the best it recognises me and feeds from my hand

How do you have your sump hooked up? Do you hook it up through to the top of the tank somehow?

My stand isn't big enough for a sump so yes mines drilled at the top with pipe leading down to my sump

Oh okay. I've been doing research on it and I really want to do a refugium so I'm assuming that a sump would be the best bet. There is an awful lot of research I have to do first.

Yeah it's best to do research before jumping in though and yes sump is best way for refugium

Yeah I will be doing lots of research before investing the money in a saltwater tank. It's too expensive to not do the research!!

Back
Top Bottom